PDA

View Full Version : Common Goldeneye Riding the Waves.

Daniel Cadieux
01-23-2016, 09:01 AM
I had a ton of fun photographing the local goldeneyes. The water of the Ottawa river is quite furious a this spot, and the goldeneyes just love it. The image was taken just outside of the white-water conditions, but still with a strong current. This made for neat water flowing patterns over and around the ducks. It is amazing watching them drift backwards and disappear into the rough waters!

Canon 7DII + 500mmf/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/2500s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, cropped for comp (~80% FF), recovered the highlights using the burn tool and some of the blacks on the head with the dodge tool. Toned down the very brightest areas in the URC.

gail bisson
01-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Very nice Daniel.
I feel you need a bit more breathing room on the RHS.
The water current looks very strong judging by the way the water is moving around the neck and over the back.Very cool pattern.
Your PP looks good,
Gail

John Rowell
01-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Great shot of moving through the fast water, this fellow looks about to become a submariner. Very nice details, but maybe cropped just a bit too tight. If you have it, a little more room might help accentuate the fast moving water.

annmpacheco
01-23-2016, 12:27 PM
First reaction was "wow!" I like the action you captured and the water he was moving through. Super job working the head colors/highlights, blacks, ... I too wish for more canvas. Great looking duck, sweet image Dan.

arash_hazeghi
01-23-2016, 02:10 PM
looks like a real surfer! great frame Dan! hope you're doing well and enjoying your new camera!

best

adrian dancy
01-23-2016, 07:27 PM
The braking water making a cloak over the bird is so over the top ...brilliant! The whites look good to me. nice work Daniel.

Randy Stout
01-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Daniel:

Agree with all the positives mentioned, love the water washing around the neck and onto the back, big wave post.

A bit more room would be nice.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Crosswell
01-25-2016, 11:43 AM
I like the bow wave and water on the back, IQ, wave and agree on a looser crop if you have it. Very well done Daniel!