PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Crocus

John Robinson
01-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Experiment with a crocus
Giving the stacking a rest i thought I,d try something different.
This is taken using one of those LED lights - my wife bought me it as a stocking fillar at Christmas !
Just tried moving it around.
D7100
800 ISO
f16
Good fun if nothing else !!Cheers
This one is with the light slightly behind. Leftthe WB on auto
JohnR

Jonathan Ashton
01-22-2016, 06:20 AM
I like the light, not too sure about the black background, probably because I just seem to associate viewing crocus in the garden in daylight! I would suggest the colours of the crocus are a little over saturated. The focus and detail is excellent. Knowing just where to crop the base is a tricky one, I am guessing they were in a pot that is why the base is not there.

John Robinson
01-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Yes in a pot. As I say- an experiment with the LED lighting- so left as was. Easily adjusted. Playing a bit more today. Didn't change the BG as was more interested in the light effect.
john

Diane Miller
01-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Love the lighting, and of course the subject! What would you think about a slight gradient burn from the bottom? The white "wrappings" are lovely, but do compete a little.

Would be interesting to set a long SS and try moving the light a little during the exposure -- or was that what you meant by moving it around?

John Robinson
01-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Diane- You must be a mind reader. Thats what I have been playing at for the past half hour !!! A 4 to 5 sec exposure and then waving the light about ! It looks really promising and is good fun. Points taken about image comments above.
Cheers
John

John Robinson
01-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Bit of a play. cant find gradient fill in paint shop pro
John

Diane Miller
01-27-2016, 11:54 PM
Whatever you found, it works for me!

Jerry van Dijk
01-29-2016, 04:52 PM
Hi John, I like your experiment. Details and colors of the flowers in the OP are very nice. I agree with Diane that the lower white parts are a bit competing. Additionally, you seem to have lost some details in the highlights on the two left flowers.
The balance between the lower parts and flowers is better, but the flowers look too bright and bleak to me. As an alternative (next experiment?) you could try to mainly light the flowers. You could also try to light the flowers from a different angle. I've had some nice results with backlighting crocusses, although I used natural light rather than a torch (mine were located on a forest floor)!