PDA

View Full Version : Green Coquina

Don Lacy
01-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Most of my beach images are shot in twilight or just as the sun breaks the horizon the other day I stayed a little longer when I saw the moss on the coquina rocks glowing from the early morning light. This was taken from my local beach which has given up some really nice images lately.

Canon 6D, 16-35 f/4 at 16mm, 1/4 at f/13, Manual Made, evaluative metered, ISO 400, a 5 stop ND and polarizer help slow the shutter speed down for me to get the silky water I had to increase ISO because I really needed a 3 stop ND to go with the polarizer, single exposure and usual luminosity processing with a dash of Nik here and there.

David Cowling
01-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Nice work Don. I like the composition here and the wide angle lens really helped to capture the rocks right up to your feet. Great detail in those very interestingly arranged rocks. The water movement looks very nice with just the right amount of silkiness. The cloudscape complements the the composition very nicely. I feel that the image is a little over polorised/saturated for my taste, but that is a very personal thing.

Don Railton
01-21-2016, 11:27 PM
Wonderful Don..! The green Blue & white work very well and the shutter has that nice mix of detail vs dynamics.. Love the composition..

DON

Adhika Lie
01-22-2016, 02:42 AM
This is a really great picture, Don. I think the composition is spot on and the long exposure was just at the right amount. It is not very common to see a seascape made in glorious morning lights and I think you have done a great job here!

Jonathan Ashton
01-22-2016, 06:10 AM
A beautiful image I love the colours, I was going to suggest the horizon needed a little anticlockwise rotation but I think it is an optical illusion. I have never seen a coast line anything like that before - a really interesting and impressive image.

Diane Miller
01-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Wonderful! I love the sweep of the wide angle, with the feeling of looking almost straight down. The silky motion of the waves is perfect!!

Glennie Passier
01-23-2016, 02:00 AM
Don, You have taken me to a place where I will probably never go. I can almost feel the water licking my toes. Beautiful.

Rachel Hollander
01-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Hi Don - It was worth it to stay and play a bit. I like the colors but for some reason the brightness of the scene makes me want to see crashing rather than silky waves. Any chance you shot the same scene with a faster ss for comparison? I also would prefer a bit more room at the bottom and less sky so it doesn't feel 50/50. Of course, this is largely perceived preference and I could feel completely different seeing the alternatives. It certainly looks like a nice place to experiment.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-01-2016, 01:17 PM
This is as close to perfect as they come to me. Love the colours, the feeling of a bright morning by the seaside, the overall composition and flow.
:5

steve torna
02-09-2016, 09:48 PM
I really like the image, the rock formations, moss and silky water are unique. To me this landscape might have benefited from a horizontal composition. The sky is rather plain and boring, so why not do a horizontal composition, take in more of the coast and place the horizon in the upper 1/3 of the image to really showcase the star of the image (the rocks and coast)? This is a really magical scene but I think that having the horizon in the middle of the frame detracts from it's impact.