PDA

View Full Version : Mothership Storm Cloud..

Don Railton
01-21-2016, 07:44 AM
Hi Guys

Storm clouds over Perth.. Taken last Weekend, never seen anything like this locally before... Quite spooky..

1D4 & 24mm F 2.8. Hand held, this is a stitch of 3 images.
1/160 sec @ F 13, iso 200

DON

David Stephens
01-21-2016, 01:27 PM
There's a great sense of the power in that storm.

I love the colors and composition, except that rock in the lower right is debatable. I'd probably crop that out, but then it might ruin the balance of water to sky. I'd like to see a little more of the detail within the darkest part of the cloud.

Don Lacy
01-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Wonderful cloud you have here very dramatic and foreboding . I agree with Dave on both his points so I pulled it into PS just to show you a version with the darks open up a bit and the foreground rocks cropped out.

David Cowling
01-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Now that is what you call a storm cloud! Difficult to expose for as there is such a large dynamic range but you seem you have covered it very nicely. Agree with cropping out the rock but OK with the rest of the image.

Don Railton
01-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Thanks Guys..! David C, yes the DR was a bit of an issue. I expected the hot spot just above the ships to attract comment, its certainly something i try to avoid but the cloud was quite dynamic so bracketing & stitching was not possible. Just did the best I could... I have already lightened the cloud a little so emulating Don L's repost is a simple slide shift. Thanks for your input Don, always apprechiated. I also debated leaving the rocks in my mind but left it FF for comment. And thanks David S.. The dynamics & implied power of this thing was the most impressive part of this experience.

DON

Adhika Lie
01-22-2016, 02:45 AM
Look at that sky! I like Don Lacy's suggestion. Such a great scene though! :)

Jonathan Ashton
01-22-2016, 06:05 AM
A spectacular shot, I have never seen anything remotely like it. I too think the rocks in the foreground are important, I agree with Don's version of the sky that looks even better to me.

Diane Miller
01-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Wow! Amazing cloud and a nice capture of difficult tonalities. I'm torn about the rocks -- wonder if more of them was possible. If not, I think I'd go with the crop. Is there any leeway to pull down the blown-out clouds in the distance?

Rachel Hollander
01-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Hi Don - What a powerful and dramatic sky! My first impression was that you need more of the rocks in the lrc for them to serve as an anchor. If you don't have more then I agree they should go. I really like what Don L. has done with the tones and opening it up a bit more.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
02-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Intense clouds and mood here! I like Don's repost here as the FG was just drawing my eye away from that intensity.

Andrew McLachlan
02-07-2016, 08:22 AM
WOW!!! That is one awesome cloud formation and storm...I like Don's repost a bit better...very nicely composed!!!

steve torna
02-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Awesome! The placement of the horizon in the lower 1/3rd, exposure and light merge to make a captivating photograph.

steve