PDA

View Full Version : On a windy day....

Mary Stamper
06-08-2008, 08:55 AM
I hand-held this in 20mph wind tracking the flower in AF-C mode with the new nikkor 60afs macro lens. Can't believe how many in-focus shots I got.

D2X
60mm AFS macro lens
f5 @1/320
iso 200

Mike Gallo
06-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Very creative, I can feel the wind

Mike Moats
06-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Hey Mary, very nice idea with the side view, and DOF, and main focus on the stamens is good. I like the BG, but would clone out the little green OOF stems at the bottom. Nicely done.

Fabs Forns
06-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Mary, next time the wind is blowing, set the camera to Shutter Priority and 1/8 of a second s/s and let the flowers flow through the lens, you may get a winner!

Very creative, I' d probably do a vertical pano with the right side of the image.

John Cooper
06-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi Mary - I like your idea here with the selective focus just on the stamens - and nice lighting.

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Mary,
do like what you tried here.....but the uneven lighting is a bit distracting for me. I also find myself struggling with slow SS as Fab's suggested........but I hope you keep trying as will I!

Mary Stamper
06-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Hi Mary,
do like what you tried here.....but the uneven lighting is a bit distracting for me. I also find myself struggling with slow SS as Fab's suggested........but I hope you keep trying as will I!

Just curious Roman....

Why do you struggle with Fab's suggestion about slow shutter speeds? I've seen some wonderful (at least for my taste) etherial photos made that way. Maybe it's just not your taste, and that's perfectly fine.

Also re: the uneven lighting....does everything have to be lit like a standard portrait? Could this photo be more about the motion and the light variation than about the flower itself (which is really just a carrier of the former)?

Not meaning to be argumentative, just wondering.

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi Mary,
It not the concept I struggle with......it's the execution! .........might be taste.
I think if you had a much slower shutter speed......the brightness wouldn't be as prominent.........but if you look at some of Fab's etheral pix...........the lighting is usually very even.