PDA

View Full Version : Looking past the storm..

Don Railton
01-20-2016, 07:32 AM
Hi Guys

I am a bit of a B&W mode at the moment... exploring ideas. I went out last Saturday evening with a group of photogs and we witnessed a huge storm cell slide down the coast here in Perth. It was one of those clouds you expect a space ship to drop out of and deposit Aliens everywhere. No Aliens appeared however, just a little lightening. I captured this and liked the idea of the ships emerging from the storm cloud into the sun. I am always the optimist... I am not overly happy with the result but wanted to post and seek opinion anyway...

Canon 1D4 and 70 to 200 F2.8 at 95mm
1/4000 at F10, iso 500
raw converted in ACR, B&W done in PS...

DON

Adhika Lie
01-20-2016, 11:15 AM
I enjoy the composition on this shot a lot. I will probably dodge the sea at the bottom left corner a tad just to lift it up a little bit. Otherwise, it's a really great shot! :)

Don Lacy
01-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Hi Don, I like the ideal and the comp, agree with the dodgeing and I would lower the highlights if possible

Don Railton
01-21-2016, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the input guys.. Most apprechiated..

Diane Miller
01-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Very different, and nice! Good comments above. I wonder about removing about half the water and lowering its contrast -- the texture there competes with the lovely clouds.

This is one worthy of some experimenting, as to balancing tonalities. Do you use Silver Efex Pro? I love the control it gives, and many different renditions are possible.

Don Railton
01-24-2016, 06:41 PM
Hi Diane

Thanks for the comments, and yes i do use Silver effects, its my 'go to' B&W converter and i think its very good. I agree there are lots of possibilities and I am becoming more aware how subtle you have to be in tonal balance with B&W. It can make or break an image. I am looking at a cheap monitor at work right now and what i am seeing is not the same image as I wanted to project. The black are a lot more blocked up than I wanted. Similar story with my later "Mothership posting" also. Not sure if its the cheapish monitor at work or whether my NEC monitor (PA302W) at home is not set up right and hence giving me grief when posting. I have a feeling its my setup at home because RP's like Don L did with the Mothership image look similar on the work computer to what i wanted to project.. I know you have an NEC also, maybe when I get home I can PM you a few of the settings I use that I am not sure about..?

Don

Diane Miller
01-26-2016, 04:57 PM
Hmmm ... I replied with a sure, happy to look at your settings. And gave you mine. But looks like I forgot to hit post or something.

I'm out now and of course don't remember all the settings. Will look for your PM.

Andrew McLachlan
02-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Good suggestion mentioned already for this lovely scene Don...I love the dark storm clouds!!!