PDA

View Full Version : Obiwan - blue sharpei

shane shacaluga
01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
I was out this evening with my dogs, trying to test out my new 200-500 lens in low light conditions as was requested by one of the members. Its nearly impossible to approach small birds with these dogs as they seem to know where I am looking and always get there first frightening them off

In the end before it got too dark I decided to use one of my dogs as a subject and think of him as something i would post in the Wildlife forum in the future!

Here is my male sharpei named Obiwan Kenobi. Although never taught he is an amazing scent dog and will also herd cattle.

Nikon D800e
Nikkor 200-500 @ 500mm
1/125
f5.6
ISO 5000

Cropped slightly for composition. Applied NR on background

I focused on the nose thinking at that distance i would get the rest of the head in focus but the eyes are slightly OOF when zoomed right in at 100% (user error). I am unsure if the fur would have had more detail with a higher SS or if it is also behind the focal plane

I will post a pic of the female soon

dankearl
01-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Looks good to me Shane, thanks for taking the time to post this.
Gotta love Nikon for no noise, huh? Those poor Canon folk....
Seriously, I may go for this, my hiking/travel lens is my 70-200 w/2x, a nice combo but
the new lens is a bit lighter and longer, I was not sure about it, but your photos are selling me.

Steve Kaluski
01-19-2016, 05:22 AM
Nice looking hound Shane.

Gotta love Nikon for no noise, huh? Those poor Canon folk....

I think you will be pleasantly surprised Dan with Canon, check out my Polar Bear in Photo Discussion - Your Best/Favourite image of 2015, at ISO12,800 it's a very clean file and I have no hesitation in raising the ISO :S3:.

Marina Scarr
02-03-2016, 10:01 AM
That is one heck of a great looking dog!

shane shacaluga
02-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Thanks! He is such a poser haha