PDA

View Full Version : Polar Bear

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2016, 09:06 AM
After his little nap/snooze, this guy encircled the small ship, gently stepping onto the 'stepping stones' of ice (amazingly nimble at times), and surprising how dense the pack ice can be to support the weight of Polar bear, although they often do crash through from time to time too :S3:. This image doesn't quite do justice to the huge/awesome paws these animal have.

Thanks to those who viewed and or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) stepping on the pack ice
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200 f/2.8 MKII HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO1600
Original format: Landscape, (minimal crop to retain IQ)
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

Rachel Hollander
01-18-2016, 09:17 AM
Hi Steve - This works rather well despite the confines of the ship and resultant shooting angle. Colors look great as does the detail. Only wish for a smidge more room to the left.

TFS,
Rachel

Joseph Przybyla
01-18-2016, 09:35 AM
I am awestruck by the magnificence of this bear. Such a treasure, thank you for sharing.

haseeb badar
01-18-2016, 09:50 AM
Hi Steve -- Looks great !! what an angle ! how did u achieve that ?? These type of images just fuels my wish to photograph these animals . I like the way it is framed . TFS !!

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks folks, yep they are awesome beasts and one that I have huge respect for.

Sorry Rachel, no more room on the LHS, FP was right on the head with a little more room for him to walk into on the RHS, as I was right on the maximum of 70mm and did not wish to change lens as he was on the move. So 70-200 on one body, 200-400 on the other.

Steve

keith mitchell
01-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Steve keep saying this I know but the detail and texture you get on the fur is excellent, bloody nosed Bear, ice and snow all beautifully done.

Keith.

Anette Mossbacher
01-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Looks great Steve, just the angle is not my fav, but what will you do. Jump over board, slide flat on your tommy, make a few clicks and run as fast as you can :t3

Wish you a great evening

Ciao Anette

Gabriela Plesea
01-18-2016, 03:46 PM
A very good evening Steve,

Thank you for sharing with us this unique capture, it looks like such a precarious "walk" around the ship from this Bear... I gather these guys are as curious about us as we are about them...

Well composed and wonderful detail on the fur of this large marine mammal, I know they are great swimmers but I don't want to see this one fall in the icy water, love the balancing act:)

Great techs, beautifully exposed and presented, PP work seems effortless and I love the colours and tonality.

I have never had the opportunity to photograph those awesome Bears, a tad jealous:tinysmile_shy_t: Enjoyed viewing, a lot, and I appreciate this post.

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Looks great Steve, just the angle is not my fav, but what will you do. Jump over board, slide flat on your tommy, make a few clicks and run as fast as you can

Agree on the angle Anette, it's not ideal, but you know what would happen if I did jump over, plus me, run... :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2016, 04:08 PM
Hi Gabriela, yes they are fantastic swimmers, 900 miles was I believe the longest distance recorded, sadly the cub never made it. No images sadly of any in the water, all on the pack ice.

Gabriela Plesea
01-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Sad the cub never made it. I read somewhere that there are only about 20.000 or so Polar Bears in the world. Would love to see some images of PB cubs.

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2016, 04:38 PM
I like that this angle gives nice colour on the water. I felt it was too tight on LHS as well but your reasons make sense in this regard, Steve.
Impressive animals and harsh terrain!

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Would love to see some images of PB cubs.

You & me both Gabriela and I know where you can do it - waiting for that moment when Mom finally emerges from the den and the cub takes it's first breath of fresh air, an awesome moment, but it's a very expensive gamble too. Knowing my luck it would all happen when I start that Skidoo up and drive away :S3:.

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2016, 04:46 PM
Cheers Morkel, I will have a look at frames further on, however my hunch is that either the HA, legs etc are not ideal, hence choosing this one, you know what it's like. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
01-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Great shot Steve as usual wonderful detail and colours spot on. Jumping over the side is ok I am informed, providing you can run faster than the person you take with you:w3

Steve Kaluski
01-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Jumping over the side is ok I am informed, providing you can run faster than the person you take with you

Jon, shall we put it to the test? :bg3:

Cheers

shane shacaluga
01-19-2016, 11:26 AM
So much detail in the wet fur and the bloody muzzle puts things into perspective. Nicely exposed snow and good feeling of movement

Tell me more about the cub gamble? When are we going :)

Steve Kaluski
01-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Tell me more about the cub gamble? When are we going :)

LOL Shane, hope you have 'deep' pockets and like the cold. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
01-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Jon, shall we put it to the test? :bg3:

Cheers

Yes wheel out Grannie and I meet you there:w3

Andreas Liedmann
01-19-2016, 02:04 PM
Hi Steve well not the ideal angle i think ...... but the rest is gorgeous from my POV .
Everything does sit nicely together .
This is so nicely processed :5 , love the tones in the three major elements , with lots of detail in them !!!!
The comp is nice too with the PB in one corner and the floating ice in the other .

Like the balancing act of this PB !

Good luck for you guys when running , but leave your kit onboard , as others might have use for it :bg3:.

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
01-19-2016, 04:35 PM
Guys, I think in this case you might have to be able to swim faster after you crash through the ice!

Anette Mossbacher
01-20-2016, 01:55 AM
Aaaaaah, I see some want to run. :t3
Good Luck, these guys are faster than you think :w3 and please leave your gear behind, I might have some use for it, photo flea market or so :bg3:

Cub gamble, you just need to have the right connections, than you do not need to dig to deep in your pockets :t3

Cheers

Mark Needham
01-28-2016, 01:29 AM
Lovely "top down" POV here. Great detail in the fur and love the red on his snout. Your PB images are out of this world - you had a great trip!