PDA

View Full Version : Lyyn Padarn

Jonathan Ashton
01-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Composite image ISO 100 1/400 sec f11. 1/100 f11
The image was taken in Snowdonia in North Wales, the light was really not very interesting so I have done quite a bit of manipulation to introduce some contrasting lighting.
As ever I eagerly await your comments!

Glennie Passier
01-17-2016, 09:37 PM
Jonathan, This is very nice. For "not very interesting light", you have managed to make it look lovely...and not over done. I like how the FG herbage compliments the patch of blue sky, and the receding shore line that make my eyes want to explore more. I think it needs just a little CW rotation. The bright green tree on the LH edge draws my eye some what.

Beautiful!

Don Railton
01-17-2016, 11:30 PM
Hi Jonathan

I too like the scene, I think the light helps with that. Its very moody, and definately worth working a bit more on. What I would like to adjust is the distorsion in the FG that makes both corners of the FG look lower than the center, along with the bit of rotation that might need to follow. Water seems quite still but should be flowing quickly given the apparent slope. I also think your blending looks a little bit obvious in places and has resulted in a 'patchy' appearance. The light bands down the ridgelines are the most obvious, along with parts of the sky.. Sorry to be negative but I am guessing you want honesty.. I dont do a lot of blending so I am not going to suggest much other than there are techniques using selections via luminosity masks for doing stuff like this that avoid sharp (=unnatural) gradients where they might not exist in nature... Don L might be able to point you to a link showing this...

DON

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2016, 07:35 AM
Nice scene and earthy tones here Jonathan!
I agree with Don's comments. The patchiness he refers to manifests as a distinct tonal difference between lower section and top section of the image and some halos along the edges of the hills. I'd be keen to perhaps work on the original RAW file with best histogram for you to show you what can be achieved without too much meddling?

Jonathan Ashton
01-18-2016, 07:45 AM
Nice scene and earthy tones here Jonathan!
I agree with Don's comments. The patchiness he refers to manifests as a distinct tonal difference between lower section and top section of the image and some halos along the edges of the hills. I'd be keen to perhaps work on the original RAW file with best histogram for you to show you what can be achieved without too much meddling?

Thanks for the offer, the two original files are on there way very soon Morkel!

Morkel Erasmus
01-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Hi Jonathan.
The two frames weren't exactly identical, so I went for the shortcut route by creating 2 exposures from RAW of the "8149" file. There was enough histogram data en very little clipped highlights in the clouds to make my point thoroughly.

I blended them together using the channels luminosity selection, and then just tweaked it using some of Hougaard Malan's actions. I also added a hint of tonal contrast with Nik Color Efex and ran Alex Nail's "Digital Saturation" action at low opacity to bring back some punch.

I hope you like the result. Literally took me less than 10 minutes.

Don Railton
01-20-2016, 11:30 PM
Much improved Morkel/ Jonathan, especially the sky, looks great... 10 minutes well spent. I would remove the distorsion more and lighten up the trees etc either side of the lake but those are the things Jonathan can play with.

DON

Jonathan Ashton
01-21-2016, 05:13 AM
Thanks very much everyone especially Morkel I appreciate your taking time to show a different version.. I think your version is closer to reality Morkel and I prefer the sky but I think I prefer the colours and lighting effects in my version all be they inaccurate.

Don Lacy
01-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Hi Jonathan, Take your foreground and Morkels sky ad some creative dodgeing and burning and I think you would have a very nice image. I do think it need a slight rotation

Andrew McLachlan
02-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Nice repost by Morkel...it really punched up the sky nicely...I too think it needs a slight rotation...I wonder how this scene would loook as a B&W?

Jonathan Ashton
02-07-2016, 10:44 AM
Nice repost by Morkel...it really punched up the sky nicely...I too think it needs a slight rotation...I wonder how this scene would loook as a B&W?

I will investigate - thanks Andrew