PDA

View Full Version : Sand Cascade

Gabriela Plesea
01-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Hello Friends,

I have another one for you...Gemsboks fighting, and it's serious. I was holding my breath watching this dangerous dance through the viewfinder.

Chose this one particular image because I love the way the sand cascades off those horns.

Almost FF. Let me have your thoughts, please - I appreciate it.

Nikon D4
Nikon 500mm F4
ISO 2200
F6.3
1/1250s
+0.3 EV

Kind regards, have a wonderful Sunday!

John Robinson
01-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Well done! Great atmosphere in this shot ! Needs looking at for a while to get the "feel" of it. Not into the African stuff but I like this one.
Good stuff
JR

Rachel Hollander
01-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Hi Gabriela - It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening here before reading your description. The sand cascade is interesting. The image seems a little flat to me. Worth another look.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
01-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Gabriela when it comes to the technical bits as you well know I'm not the best, it's great the way you have caught these two, had to look a while to figure it out.Thanks for giving us a look.

Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
01-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Indeed it is flat, Rachel! Here's a modest and very quick RP, thank you my friend for pointing this out. Not sure the colours/tones are ok, please let me know - I am busy sorting an issue with colours, did some updates the other night and some of my images don't look quite right.

Will be back, thanks everyone for your comments, appreciate it. Keith, I am also learning... and I do value your input:5

Warmest regards,

Mike Poole
01-17-2016, 05:37 PM
The RP is much stronger in terms of the colours - I though you'd gone for some funky processing on the OP!

The shot is very well timed, with the head positioning and the cascading sand - very nice touch.

Would you consider a tighter crop? To me, this shot is all about the action, and the BG doesn't add a huge amount of interest. I normally like looser framing, but I think this one should be 'in your face!'

Mike

haseeb badar
01-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Hi Gabriela -- The RP certainly looks a lot better . Initially i thought they are fighting head on , really creates some illusion . very nicely seen and well done on the timing . TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
01-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Thank you so much Mike and Haseeb,

This was a lucky shot I guess, one of many I took while those Gemsboks were fighting - I only saw the dust falling off the horns much later. Overcast conditions and the original was rather flat. More so than my OP:)

I often crop too tight so I decided - for a change - to go wider. I can of course do a tighter crop, thank you for your suggestion:)

Appreciate your comments and time to view,

Kind regards,

Morkel Erasmus
01-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Nicely captured, Gabriela! I love the sand cascade.
Repost looks good (OP had the same issues for me as Rachel picked up).
You would not believe how many gemsbok we saw at the waterholes on our trip last week...never seen so many together - the drought really has hit them hard. Lots of battles to photograph though!

Andreas Liedmann
01-19-2016, 03:05 AM
Hi Gabriela indeed a nice capture , i also like the falling sand !!
The eye clearly visible in the front Gemsbok is looking great .
I am fine with the crop as presented and i like the wider look of this frame .
From the tonal / tonal contrast view i personally think it is overdone on the RP , i would try to keep to the "dull" OP and might lower the overall opacity of the "pushed" to 50% , just my view of things in this case .
I am just wondering about the colors ..... i am missing some slight reddish tint in parts of the frame ? I know the colors vary in KTP depending on the location .

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
01-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Dear Boeties (Morkel and Andreas),

Thank you so much for feedback! Image was very "dull" to begin with, perhaps it was taken in overcast conditions. Very dry at the time as you can see, and I remember the springboks digging in the riverbeds for bulbs etc. No red dunes. I will take another look and see what I can do Andreas, I understand what you mean. I will also tell you where it was captured.

Morkel, did you see how much rain the Kalahari had? More predicted! I would love to capture some lions in the rain, sopping wet and shaking their heads:)

Have a wonderful day tomorrow,

Steve Kaluski
01-20-2016, 04:41 AM
Hi Gabriela, like the sparring and the overall composition and you know what I will say about the D4 & techs.

I agree it looks a bit flat and i might just tweak the WB, but you have the detail there, I just went a tad more to the 'red' side appose to the 'dark' side. :w3
Can't wait for the end of May. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
01-21-2016, 01:09 PM
This is lovely, Steve - thank you. Just what this image needed:5 I hadn't thought of this, unfortunately:tinysmile_shy_t: I'll remember next time! Much appreciated, and loved the bit about the red side and the dark side LOL, very subtle:)

I can't wait for mid-April, to see what you bring back!

Warmest regards,