PDA

View Full Version : Tiny girl

Vincent Grafhorst
06-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Years ago I had seen a black & white image of the baobab alley with a little girl walking in between these huge trees. I was highly impressed by that photo and it was one of the reason I wanted to visited this special place myself. I was lucky I to find this little local girl walking here (without any tourists in the frame!), just like I could remember from that photo. But whether my photo is as good as the black & white one in my memory... I hardly make B&W conversions myself, but I gave it a try here. Which one do you prefer?
Btw I'm not 100% sure if images with people are allowed in this forum.

Baobab Alley, western Madagascar.

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/50
Av( Aperture Value ) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 320
Lens EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM + circular polariser
Focal Length 85.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5200K)
AF Mode One-Shot AF
Drive Mode Single-frame shooting

Vincent Grafhorst
www.khwaiphotography.com (http://www.khwaiphotography.com)
vincent@khwaiphotography.com (vincent@khwaiphotography.com)

Vincent Grafhorst
06-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Here the B&W conversion.

Roman Kurywczak
06-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi Vincent,
Yes people are allowed.........but only when they show the connection with their surroundings. This one has a great sense of scale.The road makes an excellent compositional element while the trees bring us back into the frame. IMO you have enough separation among the tree trunks and I'm not bothered by your choice of cropping of the tree tops as this image is about the little girl and her placement in the frame is right on! Now for the color or B&W.............I think both work but my preference is for the color. It has a certain warmth which I find very appealing.

Harold Davis
06-08-2008, 02:05 PM
holy cow!!! that b&w is dramatically different from the color and a totally different feel. fantastic job with the conversion. i like it!!!!! agree with roman that both work. it just depends on what you are going for. personally i think the girl works better in the color one and i would evict her in the black and white.

thoughts?

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2008, 11:18 PM
I like both a lot Vincent for the reasons mentioned and agree with Harold that the B&W w/o the girl is th way to go with that one.

Mike Moats
06-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Hey Vincent, great image and I prefer the B&W, but not to say the color version isn't great Those trees are just awesome looking. Must have been very cool to see in person.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I like both versions for different reasons, the B/W is definitely more dramatic. I'm undecided about the girl. Thanks for sharing!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
I like both versions for different reasons, the warm light in the first one and the more dramatic mood in the B/W version. I'm undecided about the girl. Thanks for sharing!