PDA

View Full Version : Theme Powdered Nose

shane shacaluga
01-14-2016, 04:21 PM
This image was captured last winter in Norway. On a small cove at one end of the lake a number of hooded crows were foraging in the snow for food

The cove was covered in snow and rocks but i preferred the intense blue background of the lakes surface

D800e
70-300 VR Lens
f5.6
1/1000
ISO 800

Cropped to about 75% original size. Controlled the highlights on the snow as I exposed to the right to get details the blacks. Slight NR on BG and selective sharpening on subject

Shot was handheld

Thanks for your comments

annmpacheco
01-14-2016, 04:45 PM
Phew, glad this is not a drug addiction! what a beautiful hooded crow, wish there was more than a tease of him. Lovely details throughout and wish the blue wasn't so intense.

Randy Stout
01-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Shane:

It is a pretty intense blue! When I first looked at it, I thought the bird had a blue cast as well, but I think it may just be a case of my blue receptors getting overwhelmed by the water. Nice detail, snow adds context.

How do you find the 70-300VR works with the D800e? I thought that sensor might out resolve the lens enough to make it an awkward pair, but the result at this size, looks very sharp.

Cheers

Randy

shane shacaluga
01-15-2016, 04:03 AM
Thanks guys!

Randy the combo worked ok for me so far and has been my light travel lens on work trips when I only take cabin baggage. My action combo until yesterday (300f4 + 1.4xTC) did not have VR so taking images of static subjects was a problem. When I use this lens I usually like to use slower shutter speeds on perched birds and the results have been pretty good. I just bought the new 200-500 VR lens and hoping to take it out for a test this weekend

Not sure if I would notice that the sensor out resolves the lens to be honest. What we be the noticeable effects on the image?