PDA

View Full Version : Theme harvest Mouse. C ?

keith mitchell
01-14-2016, 08:09 AM
Nikon D4
Sigma.
1/2000@f10 iso 1000.
Bit of dried mealworm to tempt him up the plant.

Thanks for taking a look and your comments and tips on my Squirrel.

Rachel Hollander
01-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Hi Keith - It all comes together nicely here. Sharp subject, excellent dof, good separation from that smooth bg. Only thing it seems a little bright to me. If it were mine I would drop the exposure a quarter to third of a stop. One of your best wildlife images:5.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
01-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Great shot Keith I had no idea you could bait them with mealworms. I love that tail. I also like the composition I agree though it looks a tad on the bright side to me also.

Andreas Liedmann
01-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Hi Keith just want to say :cheers: :5 :5

Nice work , just would go with Rachel regarding dropping the exp , not sure if needs to be -0,3, but i would try . I would avoid the edit on the whole picture , just select the red channel and drop the exp through the selection . just my 2 cents :wave:

I also agree this is your best so far , specially from the technical side

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
01-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Awesome, Keith!!!

The comp is so good, techs are great, stunning colours, it all works for me 100% - congratulations, my friend!

I too love that tail! And those shiny beautiful eyes, cute nose (possibly twitching, LOL), Keith you nailed this one:5, it is sharp, the colours are great, do try reduce exposure as per Rachel's advice and see if you like it more?

Superb capture, keep them coming please!

Warmest regards,

keith mitchell
01-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Thanks for your comments here is a quick repost.

Andreas Liedmann
01-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Hi Keith think the RP does look a bit too dark and more flat , just my take .
Cheers Andreas

for illustration my edit very quickly done , plus the layer stack to see what i did , hope this helps

Rachel Hollander
01-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Keith - It looks like you darkened it too much to me. How did you make the adjustment? Andreas' rp still looks a bit bright to me. I would go somewhere in between the 2.

Mark Needham
01-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Hi Keith -- Awesome image here. Love the catchlight in the eye, tail looped around the stem, etc. It all works for me :5 Your RP is too dark IMHO. I opened both your OP and Andreas' version in PS and could not tell much of a difference at all. Suggest darkening just a tad (not nearly as much as your RP though).

Andreas Liedmann
01-15-2016, 03:39 AM
OOPS sorry folks i uploaded the original :bg3: the dumb one was in me .

Really say sorry

Here now the right version :wave: as per layer adjustments

Cheers Andreas

haseeb badar
01-15-2016, 04:41 AM
Hi Keith -- I agree with what Rachel has to say, her initial comments as well as the one made after Andreas RP . Really one of your best image till date . TFS !

keith mitchell
01-15-2016, 08:29 AM
Thank you all for your comments and tips very much appreciated, it is very difficult to get what looks right in a picture, and what is so frustrating is the fact I see these animals every day and do try to get a true representation of the colour, there is always a temptation to increase the reds which looks cute but they are far duller especially at this time of the year.
Looking at the three images would agree that my first one was a tad bright and I really got carried away with my repost making it dark and flat, Andreas yours looks technically correct but not sure colour wise.It's good fun playing about with Mice.

Keith.

Andreas Liedmann
01-15-2016, 08:58 AM
Hi Keith ....color wise always bit tricky as i do not know what color they have :bg3: and then a question of taste . Always possible to correct the color

just checked a species description .... they vary ....the mouse and the descriptions . Golden brown , brown with a yellow or red tinge and dark brown so how should i know what is correct ????

Cheers Andreas

keith mitchell
01-15-2016, 11:59 AM
That is a difficult one Andreas all I can do is work on the animals I have to hand, which can de good but like anyone with a camera or a paint brush trying to recreate nature can be frustrating.

Cheers Keith.

Rachel Hollander
01-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Keith - Unless you are looking to sell your image commercially or enter it in a contest, the only one you have to please is you!

Daniel Cadieux
01-17-2016, 06:32 PM
What a fun image! I love the tail wrapping around the stem (a stem that forma a strong vertical line for the vertical comp). Some of these small rodents have many subtle colours variations between individuals eh!

keith mitchell
01-18-2016, 04:25 AM
Thanks Rachel and Dan much appreciated.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Hi Keith, awesome image and I know just how hard you have worked in achieving an image like this and based on the above replies I think we would ALL would be proud in capturing an image like this, WWD indeed. :cheers:

I know Andreas has given you some PP stuff to work on, but if this helps then this is two stages less, no masking and may be less daunting for you, just let me know. My only thought is to remove the circular bud on the top of the trim, just looks cleaner to me.

Now start to plan for capturing those Summer images of this wee fellow, be great to see.

TFS
Steve

dennis greenwood
01-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Is this a wild Harvest mouse ,as i am very impressed how its managed to get it self around the foxglove

Steve Kaluski
01-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Is this a wild Harvest mouse

This should clarify your question Dennis:

Keith Mitchell - Think I explained on my last post of Harvest Mice these are escapees that are running free, will try and catch them up before winter comes.

Anette Mossbacher
01-18-2016, 03:31 PM
Love this one Keith. Well done. All said above already, I have not much to add, only that I love this one :wave:

Have a great eve

Ciao Anette

keith mitchell
01-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Thanks Steve got the book you recommended .Thanks Anette you made my day:wave: