PDA

View Full Version : Nature's Playground

Gabriela Plesea
01-13-2016, 12:36 PM
Hello Friends,

Posting this purely for interest' sake, not happy with the IQ but I like the content - hope you do too... Taken one early morning in the KTP and the sun was still hiding behind the dunes. Bokkies are busy warming up this time of the day:)

Nikon D4
Nikon 500 F4
ISO 4000
F4
1/1600s
No camera support and I had no time to put VR on, LOL

My turn to cook tonight so I'll be back a little later to view and comment on your images, thank you so much for taking the time to look:w3

Kind regards,

Daniel Cadieux
01-13-2016, 08:13 PM
I really like the action here, and the pose is very entertaining! The kicked up dust trail is a very neat feature of the image. I'm also liking the BG individuals. I'm wondering if the image needs a bit of CCW rotation, or if that was a natural slight slope of the terrain?

Rachel Hollander
01-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Hi Gabriela - Daniel summed up my thoughts as well. Looks like it bounced across the screen and the kicked up dust. The muted colors of morning and cooler tones work. Nice sharpness even without VR. Curious as to why you had it off. I do think it needs rotation as Daniel suggested.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
01-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Hi Gabriela,

great action image. I love them happily jumping around in the mornings. "Yeah I made it through the night, not eaten" :bg3:

I as well thought at first the image needs a tad rotation, but now not sure about it. Was a bit longer looking. Guess the first impression is mostly that!! Not sure. I think it comes from the dust trail. Well, check it out if you like.

Love the others in the BG eating, they maybe did not escape at night! :t3

Have a great day

Ciao Anette

Morkel Erasmus
01-14-2016, 03:58 AM
Nice moment here Gabriela!
You must be itching to get back...we had an amazing trip (albeit VERY hot, hotter than I ever had in Kalahari summer visits).
I agree it seems slanted - given the diagonal direction of the jumping Springbok I would agree with a CCW rotation so the ground seems more level, as the departure point of the hooves doesn't need to be level per se.

keith mitchell
01-14-2016, 07:51 AM
I'ts great the way you have captured the dust trails and the disturbance caused by this animals quick departure, nice detail and well caught action Gabriel

Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
01-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Hi Everyone!

Thank you for looking and comments. Tonight I have a bit more time so let me say this was captured close to Mata Mata in the KTP. Morkel - welcome home safely! I am indeed itching to go back...Not sure the heat is going to worry us there, we had such high temperatures here lately and no rain in months, I can say we are used to it, LOL.

Last night I forgot to tell you I took this while Andre was driving... So, vehicle in motion, not fast of course...I took a chance because it was special. I do this often, Andreas saw me a couple of times when he was with us and was giggling, but I do get lucky from time to time. These chaps spring into action so suddenly, by the time you aim and try change a few settings they stop in their tracks...Rachel, VR was off because I had not expected this, we were busy departing the scene. FP on the body of the springbok:)

I thought you might wish for a CCW rotation, at first I thought so too. Not sure it really needs it but I will take a look at the other frames in the sequence and correct if necessary. Right now busy looking for something different to share, meanwhile...hope you all have a fantastic evening! Many thanks again Daniel, Rachel, Anette, Morkel and Keith:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Andreas Liedmann
01-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Hi Gabriela whats not to like about this :wave: and even more when you took this while "racing" was still on , LOL .
I really like the overall mood .... looks like the Kalahari mood :5 , love overall softness in the tones and colors of this frame . One can see the sun hitting the bokkie gently and the timing of the shot is just perfect .You have good detail and sharpness for the given circumstances .
I just also think it need to be leveled somehow !!

Well very shortly you will be back in " your" Kalahari , and i wish you two the same sightings as Morkel had ........ in the back of my head ..... maybe some more :w3.

All the best my little sister and TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
01-14-2016, 03:06 PM
Thank you Andreas, my KTP Boetie!

Yep, busy packing and a little excited already about meeting some familiar faces in the KTP. Especially after seeing Morkel's images on BPN as well as FB. We are not spending much time on the SA side of the KTP so we will have different sightings, nevertheless I am hopeful. Due to the drought I would expect to see more than usual at the waterholes, thinking those Eland herds might have to leave the dunes again, just like in 2012...

Andreas, explain to me please the reasons why you want this levelled? The thought is unanimous so I agree you all have the same feeling, but I had a look at the original file again, as well as a couple more images from this "burst", and I cannot - for the life of me - find good reason to do so. Let me know if you want me to send you a few RAW files, I do not mind doing the CCW rotation but it does not look right to me. Not yet, anyway:)

Have a good evening my Boet, and thank you for feedback...chat tomorrow, I am off to the feathers now...

Andreas Liedmann
01-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Hi Gab this was just a stomach feeling , an initial one , not saying i am right .
Another thing is if you follow the DOF beginning line across the image , it moves from right to left and starts higher in the frame on left hand side ??? That told me it may need a rotation

Just my view , have a leaker slaap .

Will try to " face time " you guys tomorrow , tried numerous times over the past week but my Buthi was busy with other stuff . Tell him to switch on his machine tomorrow night !!

Andreas

Mark Needham
01-14-2016, 11:28 PM
Lovely jumping action captured here and love the dust. Agree that it needs a slight rotation. Great job, Gabriela!

haseeb badar
01-15-2016, 03:53 AM
Hi Gabriela -- This is a very nice action image , nice timing to capture the jump and the dust is adding so much to the image . Good sharpness as well . I too think it needs a rotation and the reason for it , is the bokkie in the BG on the LHS of the frame , it looks slanted downwards .
TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
01-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Thank you Andreas, Mark and Haseeb:)

Not convinced on the rotation though and will compare with a few other frames, LOL

Andreas, I am cooking tonight so your Buthi will be at his desk waiting to talk to you later this evening:w3

Warmest regards to you all,

Gabriela Plesea
01-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Had a look at the other frames and could not come to a conclusion so decided to play a bit, see what it looks like. Oops, it does look better. Too many of you thought this wasn't straight, so I guess you must be right and I must be wrong, LOL.
Andreas Boetie, we are here by the computers:wave:

Thanks everyone - you are awesome, cannot thank you enough for all the feedback and wonderful comments!

Kind regards,

Steve Kaluski
01-20-2016, 04:25 AM
Hi Gabriela, a cracking image. :cheers:

Regarding the rotation, I think it's an optical issue and the angle you are to the subject as the SP in the BKG appear to be level, just my take.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
01-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Thank you Steve,

I resisted doing the rotation for a while but then gave in. Since everyone thought it needed a rotation:)

I know just the spot where I took the frame, will be there in two weeks' time and will definitely have a look. I still have mixed feelings about this, the RP looks correct and the illusion is gone, but so is the dynamic quality of the image overall.

I love to grab a shot when the car is moving, LOL.

Have a wonderful evening, Steve, thank you for this:5