PDA

View Full Version : Lake Morton Ring Necked Drake

Randy Stout
01-12-2016, 04:38 PM
This was taken several years ago in the company of Daniel and Roman at Lake Morton, Lakeland Florida. We were sitting on the shoreline as low as we could get to the water level.

D300 600 f/4 @f/5.0 right angle finder, Gitzo/Wimberley

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
01-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Great looking head on shot, Randy. Love the low shooting angle, sharpness and detail.

Joseph Przybyla
01-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Your image made me smile, that's our Ring-neck. They're always around in the winter. If you come to Florida again let me know. Thank you for sharing, Randy.

gail bisson
01-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Nice POV and IQ.
Good DOF throughout the face.
How did you get the loon to put on this costume?:bg3::bg3:
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
01-12-2016, 07:14 PM
I remember that morning like it was yesterday! I also remember the major head rush I got for lying face down with my head lower than my feet to get the lowest angle possible on that sloping bank:bg3:. This species is tough to get close too up here (probably for you too) so it was fantastic being able to get them so close. Nice details, low angle. There is a seeming illusion that the image still needs some CCW rotation because of the angle of the ripples.

Grace Scalzo
01-12-2016, 08:47 PM
I like how you used dof here and rendered the beak and eye nice and sharp and then let it fall off. Looks like you had none to spare and you nailed it.

keith mitchell
01-13-2016, 04:24 AM
Beautiful detailed shot Randy,still think the D300 was a cracking camera.

Keith.

Stu Bowie
01-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Hi Randy, this low angle works so well, and well done on the overall exposure. The yellow eye pops nicely from the darker plumage. Before reading Dan's comment, I too felt this needed a touch of CCW rotation. :w3

Randy Stout
01-13-2016, 08:03 AM
Thanks everyone, and yes Dan and Stu, I will check the rotation again. I was using the breast/water interface to judge it by, and I think I let the dark shadow on the birds left side at the water line fool me. Thanks.

Randy