PDA

View Full Version : Golden_Crowned_Sparrow

Jess M. McKenzie
01-12-2016, 02:35 PM
I hope to have followed suggestions from Glennie, Diane, and others here. This shot was made through the kitchen window. I used the basic ISO of 100, and had to shoot slower than usual. Hand-held, but braced on the coffee pot. Had to eliminate a short branch under the bird's tail -- used a PS layer method plus clone stamp.
Again, i'd be grateful for all advice.

D7100, AFS Nikkor 70-300 at 280mm, f8.0 1/30s ISO100
Post processing: LR using ACR methods,
PS with NIK and then Topaz Detail

Sandy Witvoet
01-12-2016, 05:11 PM
Hi Jess! Pretty bird and I really like the pose, as well as the bit of greenery on the perch. I can't imagine trying to hand hold at 1/30... a bit higher ISO (like 200 or 400) would probably help raise your SS. The gnarl of branches behind the bird is rather distracting (especially since they are right behind his head), although the bird is clearly defined... and little birds in their natural environment are often found among the branches. Actually, the bright orange streaks are quite a problem... from a color standpoint, reds/oranges/yellows come forward to the eye, while blues, browns, blacks "recede", so they conflict with the main subject. All said, through the window is not easy and you did a good job of avoiding window glare/refection!

Jess M. McKenzie
01-12-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks for pointing that out, Sandy. The shot was part of an experiment -- I'd never operated with that low an ISO and wanted to see if sharpness increased from the ISO 1600 shot I'd presented the other day.
Just hadn't thought about SS and *its* effect on sharpness. Good point on the effects of BG color. You made me think, and that's what I needed.

Glennie Passier
01-12-2016, 09:40 PM
I agree with Sandy, Jess. The orange and green BG is a little distracting, as are the mass of branches behind. I'm not at my usual computer, but would say the bird looks a little soft or blurred and that would be from such a slow SS. Some of the greenery on the perch is a little bright. I might also have a look at taking a bit off the RHS to where the little branch (under the perch) is. It looks like you may have used a hard edged brush for the cloning under the birds tail? A bigger, soft brush may have done the job better.

Good to see you are experimenting!

Diane Miller
01-13-2016, 12:20 AM
I've learned now that I can saunter into the classroom late and just say I agree with what my assistants have said!! :S3: Good group here! And good advice above. I'd add that I'd like to see a little more room on the left, although that becomes less important if you take quite a bit off the right.

ISO 100 is better than 1600 in some ways, but not at the expense of a slow shutter speed when hand-holding. I'd compromise on 400 or 800. And shooting though glass is going to degrade any image. If it's a once-in-a-lifetime shot, go for it, but not if you can avoid it.

I would try to hold contrast down instead of boosting it -- you shouldn't need the punch of Topaz Detail in a shot like this. You should get all you need in the raw processor.

I don't know what "LR using ACR methods" means -- if you could explain it might help with critique, as processing is a significant issue here. And what Nik? -- there is a ton of stuff there.

Jess M. McKenzie
01-13-2016, 01:57 AM
Diane, i used LR adjustments as i would use ACR -- cropped, then tweaked whites/blacks which seemed to raise the snap a bit, pushed clarity and vibrance some and did little else. Exposure and contrast were pushed up just a tad , +0.55 and +41.

(I'm redoing the process now using ACR, just to make sure that's what i did. As to NIK, I used only Viveza2 to place a control point on the eye, then brightened the eye and added a bit of contrast there. I just now tried Topaz Detail, but the amount I used -- small and medium details -- had little or no effect that I can see, so I'd leave Detail out in the next iteration.)

I think Glennie and Sandy are spot on about the busyness of the BG; it's very distracting. But as I said, the idea was to try a low ISO -- too low I now realize. I should not have submitted that image. Next time, I'll be more selective.
Considering all your comments and my own second thoughts, I see that while the image may have some value in identifying the bird, it is not one to print, mat and frame.
I'll keep practicing and come back with a better one, i hope.
BTW, Glennie, I removed the little stub under the tail by cropping and saving an adjacent clear patch. Then I brought the patch and original image into layers via File>Scripts>Load Files into Stack... etc. I see what you see under the tail, but I see the same slight discoloration above the bird as well. I'm guessing its another wire pretending to be bokeh...;-)

Diane Miller
01-13-2016, 11:28 AM
You SHOULD have submitted this image! No one was born knowing this stuff and that's how we all learn!

If both are equally current "Process" versions (Process 2012 is current, as shown in the Camera Calibration tab) then ACR and LR work the same way once you get used to the differences in the interface layout.

It looks like you had shade or very soft light here, and my first impression is to wonder if contrast has been boosted too far. (And of course, not just with the contrast slider. All the others you mention tend to increase contrast.

Good use of Viveza!

Keep up the learning process -- I still am!

Glennie Passier
01-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Jess, As Diane as said, no one is born with this sort of knowledge. I have learnt so much since participating here. This is how we learn. You have shown me another way to remove a branch! I have learnt something new. I would never have found the way you have described.

Keep them coming Jess!

Jess M. McKenzie
01-13-2016, 06:30 PM
Thanks to you both. I'm not discouraged, Glennie. Indeed, I'm encouraged. You folks have taught me something about how to look at my own work. I began bird photography as an aid to identifying species. The intent was to photograph a bird before it flew away, so I could compare its image to those in the bird books. You've all shown me the potential for making art in addition to identification photos. Thus, I don't plan to stop submitting images, just stop sending in those that I already know how to fix -- or to replace with a better shot.