PDA

View Full Version : BAITED EAGLES

Ian McLachlan
01-12-2016, 06:48 AM
I enjoyed the discussion following Gail's excellent Eagle shot. So i thought I would throw one in where the fish was just out of the original. I suppose my point is that you would almost never get a shot of a Fish Eagle or Sea Eagle doing something interesting if you didn't entice them somehow, and every one knows that. But I don't see much difference between that and setting up a hide with food for small birds even hidden which seems to be acceptable. As well I thought we were supposed to tell people what our set ups are. So Arash are you saying that the set ups are fine but don't draw attention to them.
This was taken at Shakawi on the Okavango about 3 and a half years ago.I liked it because of the' tail trail' back then.
Mk4
iso640
1/2500th
300mm
f5.6

Bill Dix
01-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Fabulous pose, nice exposure, and I love the tail drag. I for one don't mind the idea of baiting but agree it should be noted. In this case the bird seems so close to its prey that one almost wonders where the prey is.

Grace Scalzo
01-12-2016, 09:18 AM
I agree with Bill. As in Gail's image, clearly the bird is going after something and the fact that we cannot see it leaves us wondering. Speaking for myself, my comment on Gail's wasn't about the practice of baiting but just that the image seems incomplete. As for your photograph, the water lights up the near underwing, but I might lift the shadows even more. Love the splash, but I would like to see a looser crop with more on the right side of the frame (as viewed). Excellent sharpness and intensity.

Gerald Kelberg
01-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Hi Ian,

Super action shot of a very impressive raptor. Great pose with those great talons fully at the ready. And the splash really emphasises the action.

I am also of the school that thinks that using food to attract any kind of target species is acceptable, so long as it is done responsibly and doesn't subject the bait to cruelty.

In situations like this, in the unlikely event that I was to spend time wondering about an invisible target, I would be inclined to surmise that the reason I can't see it is that it is under the water, or perhaps just out of the shot. In my mind I can imagine there must be something there attracting the bird, but I don't need to see it. Irrespective of which, I wouldn't really expect a live fish to be laying on the surface waiting to be picked up by a passing eagle. So, to me the image of the bird is complete even without being able to see the bait.

Regards, Gerald

Ian McLachlan
01-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the comments all. We have White Bellied Sea eagles on our coast line and as they fish out at sea sometimes miles, out we would not get to take the action if we did not give them something to eat.

Karl Egressy
01-12-2016, 05:26 PM
I like the image and don't care too much if it shows the fish or not. I think it is great as is.

gail bisson
01-12-2016, 07:13 PM
Very nice action packed image Ian.
I would like more room on the RHS and would lighten the near underwing but not so much that you introduce noise.
Whites look great,
Gail

arash_hazeghi
01-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Hi Ian,

I think you got me wrong. I never said I had a problem with (responsibly) using attraction techniques including baiting, I have done it myself. But I mentioned this particular example doesn't quite work for me personally because it has a major missing element that confuses me. I mentioned if the eagle was coming out of the water with a splash it would work, but not when it's diving at empty water. So it's the image not the attraction technique.

As for setups, I have the same feeling when I see an image with a perch that is pretty but doesn't happen naturally, e.g. it has several kinds of exotic flowers that are out of season or simply don't grow in that area but have been glued to create a perfect perch. Yet, I have no problem with setting up a nice simple perch and attracting the bird to it with food or calls. These are subjective BTW.

As for this image, its's nice and sharp but I wish the light wasn't as harsh (under wing shadows) and I agree with a looser crop

best