PDA

View Full Version : Pied-billed in Natural light

dankearl
01-11-2016, 10:54 PM
The Pond where I photograph waterfowl is attractive but very dark and I work
hard at being able to produce good low light photos.
I posted a Pied-billed that I took with a flash the other day.
That was shot at iso2000.
I really need to shoot at about iso6400 in natural light most of the time.
These are taken at 2 pm or so, so not morning or evening, about as light as it gets.
Here is a natural light version for comparison.
I am interested in your thoughts....

1/640, iso6400, 600mm, D610

610_8674bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=158486&stc=1&d=1452570821)

David Salem
01-12-2016, 12:55 AM
Been going back and forth between the two and I will say the one shot with the flash has much better color as should be expected. This one is definitely a flatter looking image. That being said, it looks pretty darn good for ISO6400. I really feel for you shooting in those high of ISO conditions.
My buddy Glenn and I shake our heads and realize how lucky we are to be in a part of the world that we can shoot over 300 days a year at ISO640 and @1/3200. You need to make a trip down south to see your daughter and shoot with us in some nice light. Tio's Mexican food and a beer on me :)

Steve Kaluski
01-12-2016, 04:05 AM
Hi Dan, I too prefer the flash version and fully appreciate/understand what it's like working with hi ISO to achieve the shot. Personally I might crop a little tighter from the top to exclude the darker patches.

David you don't know how lucky you are having the light, we should do a location swop :bg3:.

TFS
Steve

Gerald Kelberg
01-12-2016, 04:36 AM
Hi Dan, recently I've also been working at high ISO's in the darker winter days - in deepest, darkest Belgium! So, I really feel for you with this.
Yes, the version with the flash is very well executed and the bird has lots of pop against the darker background, but this version has more atmosphere and is probably a closer reflection of what you saw and the mood of the place. That can also be a great strength.
Depends on what gives you the greater satisfaction...

Regards, Gerald

keith mitchell
01-12-2016, 04:54 AM
Dan give me this natural shot any day ,think Geralds post covers my thoughts perfectly, do like this.

Keith.

Karl Egressy
01-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Lovely image of a wet Grebe, Dan.

gail bisson
01-12-2016, 07:03 PM
I prefer the flashed image but I think that it is because I prefer the HA and better overall pose of the grebe.
Has more color as well.IQ of this image is amazing for ISO 6400.
Gail

arash_hazeghi
01-12-2016, 10:44 PM
very nice. I like the low angle and the calm water. excellent handling of high ISO with good sharp details and no noise visible. They both work for me

Jim Crosswell
01-14-2016, 12:20 PM
I prefer the flashed version over this one but this is still a beauty. Great high ISO image Dan!