PDA

View Full Version : Hornbill

Neil Williams
01-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Shot in Kuala Selangor Malaysia

Rachel Hollander
01-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Neil - I've moved your thread from Wildlife to Avian where it belongs. Please remember to include your camera, lens and EXIF data in your posts.

Thanks,
Rachel

Mike Poole
01-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Neil,

Any chance you can give a bit of info on what you did in PP? I only ask because there seems to be a few issues with the noise in the black feathers which could indicate you underexposed the original by quite a bit, and the background and some of the branches look as if you've done something funky on them, especially the patterns in the green BG.

Interesting bird and I like the upwards look you're getting - the shots potential, but I think you might need to redo the file for a higher IQ result.

Mike

Karl Egressy
01-11-2016, 05:17 PM
Cool looking bird nicely captured.

arash_hazeghi
01-11-2016, 06:18 PM
it looks like image has had some heavy editing work, it looks more like a painting so I am moving it to OTB forum for better feedback.

Neil Williams
01-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Neil,

Any chance you can give a bit of info on what you did in PP?

Mike
Not to much really....I used Gaussian blur to blur out the background and made some small adjustments in ACR with a final adjustment using CEP....one pass

Neil Williams
01-11-2016, 06:53 PM
Cool looking bird nicely captured.
I printed this in A2 yesterday using UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper and today will take it to get framed. It kind of does look like a painting, and I am very happy with it............it has turned out just the way I wanted it to.

Diane Miller
01-13-2016, 07:05 PM
It's a very nice pose in what looks like good lighting, but there is a grainy look to the body feathers. Is it a big crop? It does look like exposure may have been brought up.

It looks like the masking of the BG treatment could be cleaned up quite a bit. The BG looks posterized -- are you working in 16 bits?

Neil Williams
01-13-2016, 08:38 PM
-- are you working in 16 bits?
No I'm using Photoshop CC
Thanks for the feedback

Diane Miller
01-13-2016, 09:35 PM
In Photoshop CC (or any version) you have the option of bringing an image in from the raw converter in either 8 bits or 16 bits. 16 will give you less posterization as you adjust tonalities, which is what I think I'm seeing in the BG here as a result of your blurring. But it won't do any good to change the bit depth after the fact -- it has to be done on import.

Nancy Bell
01-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Great species and pose. I see this image has moved around the forums a bit. Not really sure if it belongs here since reading thru the comments the post-processing is not meant to be OOTB. Still, very lovely effect of the patterned green bkgd and it does have a painting-like quality.

Neil Williams
01-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Great species and pose. I see this image has moved around the forums a bit. Not really sure if it belongs here since reading thru the comments the post-processing is not meant to be OOTB. Still, very lovely effect of the patterned green bkgd and it does have a painting-like quality.
I can tell you it looks amazing printed on the Epson UltraSmooth FAP :) :)

Jackie Schuknecht
01-30-2016, 06:40 PM
The pose is lovely and the colours are nice and vibrant. I thought it was worth the effort to soften the bg. Quick and dirty as they say:S3: