PDA

View Full Version : Sand Stone Arch #3

Don Lacy
01-11-2016, 10:11 AM
One of my favorite places in Arches was this little guy tucked away in some large sandstone fins. The wind was blowing really good this day and it had erased the numerous footprints that you would usually see here and the soft reflected light was magical.

Canon 6D, 16-35 at 19mm, .03 at f/16, manual mode. Evaluative metered, ISO 400, Tripod,

Grady Weed
01-11-2016, 01:37 PM
What's not to like here. I like the soft almost erased footprints. And of course the light is fantastic. I also love your sunrise you almost slept through...By the way you misspelled Witness. You put an extra n after the I. In your signature.

Don Lacy
01-11-2016, 02:03 PM
What's not to like here. I like the soft almost erased footprints. And of course the light is fantastic. I also love your sunrise you almost slept through...By the way you misspelled Witness. You put an extra n after the I. In your signature.
Opps :eek3:Thanks for catching that luckily I spelled it right when i bought the Domain name and on the header on my website . Looks like I have to redo that PS action now

Don Railton
01-12-2016, 11:26 PM
Very Nice Don... I dont mind the footprints, they do lead into the scene.

David Stephens
01-15-2016, 12:39 PM
I see red! Lovely reds at that. You nailed the exposure.

I'd like to see the top of that rock on the right and less of the sand in the FG. I would also play with raising the shadows a bit more and adding a touch more contrast. I suspect you're trying to keep a flat sky out of the image. If so, you might have tried backing up and using a longer focal length, if there was room to do so. Maybe a two-to-one crop, cutting out much of the sand would have put the emphasis on the arch and the rocks and not so much on the comparatively bland sand.

Rachel Hollander
01-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Hi Don - Really nice. Great color and I like the wide view with all the twists and turns of the sandstone, including the arch. I think a more pano crop would work as a good alternative coming up to the start of the debris area on the left. The debris then serves as a leading line into the frame.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
01-16-2016, 08:04 PM
I would also crop some off the bottom for me. You PP looks very nice as always...

Don Lacy
01-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks everyone I like the ideal of a pano crop will present it that way going forward.

Jonathan Ashton
01-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Looks impressive to me, the colours and the formations are amazing.
I know it is about the arch and you framed it as it is for good reason but it leaves me wondering how it would look with a little more head room and a little off the base. (But what do I know?)

Don Lacy
01-17-2016, 05:57 PM
Looks impressive to me, the colours and the formations are amazing.
I know it is about the arch and you framed it as it is for good reason but it leaves me wondering how it would look with a little more head room and a little off the base. (But what do I know?)
More headroom opens up to the sky and I have more compositions from different angles that i will get around to processing.

Andrew McLachlan
02-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Beautiful as always Don...I am also in favor of the pano crop :)