PDA

View Full Version : theme .Red Squirrel.

keith mitchell
01-11-2016, 04:32 AM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300mm 2.8
1/2000@f5.6
iso 1000.

Sorry about the feet behind the rock but do like the peek-a-boo effect.

Thanks for looking and your comments and tips on my Hare.

Stuart Philpott
01-11-2016, 05:32 AM
Lovely Keith,I really like the tonal gradient in the background it makes those ear tufts pop so much. Hmm I've just been reading your hare thread,I shan't comment on wiskers:bg3:. Ahh I do wish we had then down here, blummin greys. For me another fabulous image Keith now to learn from what comes next
take care

Stu

Steve Kaluski
01-11-2016, 05:58 AM
Hi Keith, this is really nice and personally the missing feet are not an issue for me, as the head on expression is captivating, a very inquisitive female. Nice clean BKG, good techs and I feel the SQ format works here. Nice backlighting of the ears and the sharpening from what I can see, looks spot on. The coat looks a bit patchy in parts, so I'm not sure if you have tweaked the colours here??? I do feel the overall 'depth' of colour looks a wee bit flat, but lets see what others say. If it is, then I might get you to try a very simple tweak which may help - brace yourself you'll being trying something new in the adjustments panel :bg3:.

I just wish we could get on top of these Greys and so the Red can be the more dominant species.

Good work Keith.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Hi Keith - Lovely look at this cutie. The ear tufts are great. The missing feet are not a problem for me. I can see a more vertical comp by coming in from the left so the edge of the rock is in the llc and then coming in a smaller amount from the right. I'm not familiar with the colors of these reds but expected the chest to be a bit more white. If it should be more white then selectively reduce the reds and yellows in the whites. Nice bg and sharpness.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
01-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Steve think there may be a couple of points with this one regarding colour, this Squirrel was about in the middle of a summer moult and in very poor condition with bald patches and looks like she as been busy with a family, got the best pose I could that omitted most of the really bad bits(but still could be a bit of me), but still some variations in colour.
The reds on posted images always look a bit orange but look ok on my gear before posting.
Rachel thanks for pointing out the white ,see if that looks better.
Thank Stuart good Vole hunting .

Steve Kaluski
01-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Hi Keith, it could be patches of moulting, haven't seen it so... If you were going to RP, then I would have suggested to crop a fraction off the RHS so that the highlight right on the trim edge on the stone has gone.

keith mitchell
01-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Hi Steve.
Repost above.

Andreas Liedmann
01-11-2016, 03:59 PM
Hi Keith well this Mrs Red does look very good . I absolutely love the pose and the missing feet are not really a big issue for me .
You have very nice fine detail in the fur and the overall tone is ok in general , but i might try to add a bit more tone selectively .I also think it is again a bit too yellow , for sure a personal view .

So here is a very quickly made edit to illustrate where the image might can go in terms of tone / color .

Still would be happy if would have such image of these guys in my collection ... i am far from that when it comes to Red Squirrels

TFS Andreas

keith mitchell
01-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks Andreas I go along with this ,your fine tuning just lifts it .

Cheers Keith.

haseeb badar
01-12-2016, 03:27 AM
Hi Keith -- A lovely pose ! feet not an issue at all , and Andreas RP sums it up everything . I really liked this image . TFS !

Rachel Hollander
01-12-2016, 07:53 AM
Hi Keith - Andreas has nailed the rp, exactly along the lines of the crop I was suggesting and the whites look much better. It's all there in your op, now just a matter of fine tuning. We can all see how much improvement you have made since becoming active on BPN. Congrats!

Rachel

keith mitchell
01-12-2016, 09:00 AM
Thanks Haseeb much appreciated, thanks Rachel learned a lot but sometimes feels like 2steps forward and three back, will keep at it.

Thanks Keith.

Mark Needham
01-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Lovely image here, Keith. Great eye contact, low angle, and upright pose. Good feedback from everyone else, so will not repeat here. Andreas' RP has improved the colors and the crop on the RHS, although I probably would not have taken quite as much off the LHS - all personal preference though. Great image! :5

D. Robert Franz
01-12-2016, 10:51 AM
This is nicely done! Must be a ton of these guys around :bg3:

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
01-12-2016, 01:21 PM
A very cute image Keith, I like the clean BG, the pose and colours.

Gabriela Plesea
01-12-2016, 02:08 PM
She is gorgeous, Keith!

Very special capture and what wonderful pose:)

In terms of comp I like Andreas's RP, but I prefer your RP when it comes to colour and that lovely warmth and tonality of the fur, less pink and more natural looking IMHO.

Hope you share more I won't miss any of your posts, I'll be away for two weeks in February but will make sure to check what you've been up to when I get back:)

Warmest regards,

keith mitchell
01-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Thanks Mark, Dale I have to travel to the North of England, none down my part of the country, thanks Sanjeev,Gabriela thank you, might find another one or two before February, very much appreciated.

Keith.

Daniel Cadieux
01-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Yep, Andreas' repost does it for me, but he did start off with your very nicely posed subject! The ear tufts and hands really make this a sweet little gal. Although most seem to not mind the hidden feet I tend to think I would have preferred the squirrel move up to the edge of the perch...if only to bring the rock's façade in the same plane of focus of as the subject. Terrific BG you got here!

keith mitchell
01-15-2016, 04:17 AM
Thanks Daniel .