View Full Version : Oystercatcher

William Dickson
01-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Canon 5D Mk3
f/4 500mm
f/6.3
1/2000
ISO 2500

This is a shot I took some time ago, as, like in this image, it is raining here, and has been for weeks. Very frustrating when you can't get out :e3 Not only that. it has been very cloudy, with hardly any decent light. Oh how I wish for some sun, frost and snow. :S3:

Will

gail bisson
01-10-2016, 10:13 AM
This is lovey Will.
I really like the environment to OC is presented in.
Beautiful with the rain and the yellow flowers at the bottom of the frame.
Excellent comp, blacks look good with the little droplets of rain.
Excellent POV.
If this was mine ( and I wish it was) I would smooth out the OOF whitish band above the head and clone out the long grass on the far right or trim back the bit at the top.
Gail

John Robinson
01-10-2016, 11:06 AM
Agree with Gail- re the white band. Lovely shot Will and the water droplets make it.
Nice one
John

Geoffrey Montagu
01-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Great image, William. The first thing that struck me was the setting for the Oystercatcher. Love the location, yellow flowers, rain, and drops clinging to the bird and blades of grass. Nice and sharp, beautiful light with good eye contact.
You've also managed to get extraordinary detail in the blacks and whites. Well done.

Geoffrey

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2016, 12:13 PM
Hi Will, cool perspective and I like the fact you placed the subject off centre, getting down & low just makes the image. Apply a couple of Grad Exp filters top & bottom creates a nice depth and I feel, takes it up a notch and where it needs to go IMHO. Techs look good and nice to see a sensible SS, good to see you feeling comfortable about ISO's.

If it was me, I might quickly remove the grass seed on the RH stem, just catches my eye and makes for a cleaner frame IMHO.

Well done.

TFS
Steve

Karl Egressy
01-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Beautiful image, Will.
Looking through my window into a nasty snow storm that just started, I would rather be where you took this picture.

Daniel Cadieux
01-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Will, what a terrific setting you photographed this oystercatcher in! I love the inclement weather depicted. I agree about the pale streak touching the head, but all else is very nicely presented.

Raybel Robles
01-10-2016, 09:18 PM
Beauitful image! Love the scenery here, with the rain and the little yellow flowers. I agree with Gail suggestions. I would also run maybe a bit noise reduction to the BG.

annmpacheco
01-10-2016, 09:23 PM
Terrific habitat image Will, colors, drops of rain and the yellow flowers are such a bonus. terrific exposure and i agree on prettying up the grass. well done.

keith mitchell
01-11-2016, 04:00 AM
Like it all Will, wet grass ,flowers and a beautifully exposed bird, very well done Will.

Keith.

Jim Crosswell
01-12-2016, 08:04 PM
I like the setting, pose and composition. Very well done William!