PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Gadwall in Flight.

Karl Egressy
01-09-2016, 07:16 AM
Thanks for looking and commenting.

Canon 7D Mark II
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS Mark II
ISO 400
f5.0
1/2500 s

Randy Stout
01-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Karl:

Excellent wings up display, angle in frame, well exposed.

Perhaps just a sliver more room below if you have it.

Cheers

Randy

dennis greenwood
01-09-2016, 07:53 AM
I like the composition ,and a good clean image

Bill Dix
01-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Perfect wing-up pose, great detail and exposure. And it looks as if she's giving you a take-off quack. I love the detailed feather patterns on this species.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Beautiful flight capture, Karl. Great full up wings and nicely shown details of this beauty.

Geoffrey

gail bisson
01-09-2016, 02:13 PM
Love the wing position and all the feather patterns.
A bit more room on the RHS would be nice.
Gaik

Joseph Przybyla
01-09-2016, 03:05 PM
I like your image, Karl. Beautiful bird, nice wings up position, good exposure. Thank you for sharing.

David Salem
01-09-2016, 03:29 PM
Great-looking flight shot Karl and I really like that details and the pose in this frame. It looks a little washed out to me. I would add some contrast or some blacks to it. Well done

dankearl
01-09-2016, 11:10 PM
I agree with Dave, it could be punched up a tad if you wish, but a nice flight frame..

Stu Bowie
01-10-2016, 02:43 AM
Hi Karl, a better take off pose you couldnt ask for better. I like the detail on the raised wings, slightly open beak, and I do like the colour of the water. Another vote for more space below.

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2016, 05:39 AM
Hi Karl, the next frame on, nice.

Agree with Randy/Stu, it needs a bit more below and I would have gone to 800 for more SS, I feel it needs it to freeze things more. Nice detail in the wings/plumage, but adding some mid tone or a Channel Curbe will help to bring a bit more clarity perhaps. David I'm always a bit cautious of adding Contrast as it can clog the more finer areas of detail, but just my take :w3.

TFS
Steve

Karl Egressy
01-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Hi Karl, the next frame on, nice.

Agree with Randy/Stu, it needs a bit more below and I would have gone to 800 for more SS, I feel it needs it to freeze things more. Nice detail in the wings/plumage, but adding some mid tone or a Channel Curbe will help to bring a bit more clarity perhaps. David I'm always a bit cautious of adding Contrast as it can clog the more finer areas of detail, but just my take .

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve, thank you all. I increased the contrast of the mid tones by 12 points in the repost.
I personally prefer less contrasty images, I set the contras to -2 in camera and further decrease it during process in DPP 4.0 as this is my personal preference.
I have realized long time ago that many people like more contrasty images, but I like less dramatic pastel colors if I can have it.:S3:

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2016, 08:15 AM
Hi Karl, again I feel it is an improvement to me, but watch the darks at the end so they don't clip or clog. Don't get me wrong Karl, having Contrast can help, it just comes down I feel, to how you wish to present your images and you own Workflow and thoughts within PP, it's another 'personal' choice and Clarity may also fall into that bracket too perhaps? :S3:

As I don't use DPP & any camera presets, but is this not just for shooting JPEGs as you can adjust everything within the DPP module?

Karl Egressy
01-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Hi Karl, again I feel it is an improvement to me, but watch the darks at the end so they don't clip or clog. Don't get me wrong Karl, having Contrast can help, it just comes down I feel, to how you wish to present your images and you own Workflow and thoughts within PP, it's another 'personal' choice and Clarity may also fall into that bracket too perhaps? :S3:

As I don't use DPP & any camera presets, but is this not just for shooting JPEGs as you can adjust everything within the DPP module?
Hi Steve,

I shoot RAW only and get the embedded jpeg out for reference purposes only, by using Breeze Browser Pro.
Then I open the RAW in DPP 4.0 and convert it to TIFF for further processing in Photoshop CS5.
Whatever setting I have in the camera, it is preserved if I use Canon's proprietary program, DPP, that is.

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2016, 02:50 PM
In which Karl, why not try 0 Contrast in the settings as you can add that in at the DPP stage, if required, you may like it, but nothing to lose.