PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a heavy load: Common loon with big chick on board

Randy Stout
01-09-2016, 07:11 AM
This pair was imaged several years ago, but never processed. Taken at the end of June, and the chick is about two weeks old. The parents generally stop allowing back riding at about this age, and I was struck by the fact that it looks like the adult is sinking under the load! Not the case really, just the impression.

D700 600VR with TC-14II, f/5.6 1/800s ISO 800, camera mounted in the bottom of my little boat.

Post: Extended canvas, rotated to level, cleaned up the catchlight/pupil a bit, selective sharpening.

The orange color comes from a nearby boat house.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
01-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Sometimes a man made object creates an attractive reflection on the water. Lucky for us that you decided to process this image as in is a very nice one, Randy. Love the chick.

Bill Dix
01-09-2016, 10:38 AM
Stunning capture, but then we've come to expect it from your loonies. You always manage to get that lovely velvet tone to the adult's head. He/She does seem to be sinking a bit. I wouldn't mind seeing more on top and less on the bottom of the image, if you have it.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Spectacular image, Randy. This is far too cute, and a humorous touch with the sinking impression in your story. Amazing soft pastel colors and sharp detail.

Geoffrey

annmpacheco
01-09-2016, 12:30 PM
This sure is yet another gem from you. Love the chick and parent together and the eye contact is aces. Soft reds and greens are perfect for the loons to pop! Enlighten me plz: /i would have automatically increased my dof to be more certain the subjects were all in focus. Did you not have to do that because they were on the same plane? Also, what did you choose for your autofocus pattern? I am never sure what AF pattern to choose here, but id probably have increased dof, increased ss, increased iso, single point autofocus and on the parents eye. Now I just bet i wouldn't have captured anything wonderful like you; help me understand please.

gail bisson
01-09-2016, 02:07 PM
I absolutely love the orange band at the top of the frame.
Really makes for something different.
Love the green swirls in the water.
You have captured perfectly that velvety head.
Really like this image Randy.

Ross Taylor
01-09-2016, 03:18 PM
Randy, this shot takes my breath away! The colors, clarity, composition, and reflection in the parent's eye. This could have easily been the vision of a master wildlife painter. No nits from me! Congrats on such an inspiring image!

TFS-Ross

David Salem
01-09-2016, 03:30 PM
"PRINT"

Grace Scalzo
01-09-2016, 03:59 PM
What David said......

Joseph Przybyla
01-09-2016, 06:03 PM
All has been said, lovely image. Thank you for sharing, Randy.

arash_hazeghi
01-09-2016, 09:56 PM
love this one Randy, close up details, HA, low angle and the BG all perfect.

dankearl
01-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Kudo's with all the rest, just a terrific frame.....

Stu Bowie
01-10-2016, 02:46 AM
Hi Randy, excellent light and IQ, and of course, your usual exposure throughout the image spot on. You have brought out the fuzzy detail on junior very well, and the colours in the upper BG takes this to a different level.

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2016, 05:41 AM
Hi Randy, can only echo Arash's comment - awesome!!!:cheers:

TFS
Steve:wave:

William Dickson
01-10-2016, 11:21 AM
David said it all in one word PRINT

Well done Randy and TFS

Will

Randy Stout
01-10-2016, 01:42 PM
All good points about technical issues. I always try to use the lowest ISO I can that is consistent with the lighting available, DOF & SS needed, etc. I could have pushed up the ISO here a bit to give me more flexibility on the other settings, and if there was any fast movement, would have been forced to. The adults usually glide pretty slowly with a chick up.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, much appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

This sure is yet another gem from you. Love the chick and parent together and the eye contact is aces. Soft reds and greens are perfect for the loons to pop! Enlighten me plz: /i would have automatically increased my dof to be more certain the subjects were all in focus. Did you not have to do that because they were on the same plane? Also, what did you choose for your autofocus pattern? I am never sure what AF pattern to choose here, but id probably have increased dof, increased ss, increased iso, single point autofocus and on the parents eye. Now I just bet i wouldn't have captured anything wonderful like you; help me understand please.

Loi Nguyen
01-10-2016, 05:22 PM
Randy, beautiful capture, love the colors and symmetry. Well done. Loi

Jim Crosswell
01-12-2016, 12:05 PM
A real beauty Randy!

Marina Scarr
01-13-2016, 03:10 PM
A stunner all the way around, Randy!!!

Frank Schauf
01-14-2016, 05:10 AM
Fantastic. Wonderful pose, colors and background, Randy.

shane shacaluga
01-14-2016, 05:26 AM
Agree to all the comments above! This is one heck of an image!

Robert Kimbrell
01-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Not much else to add, just well done on this excellent image. The orange band on top really adds.