PDA

View Full Version : Theme: The herd instinct

Nancy Bell
01-08-2016, 07:58 PM
These are Eland, large plains antelope of South Africa. The male (the front animal here) can weigh over 2,000 lbs. I was on foot and this herd was quite tolerant for a while. Then a few started to run and the rest just could not resist the ancient pull of the herd instinct. This is an in-camera blur. I used a low ISO, a slow speed, and panned with the herd. In bright light this pushed my f-stop up to it's highest value, causing a night-mare of dust bunnies to show on the RAW image.

Other in-camera effects you can experiment with can be any type of camera motion while set at a low speed such, as twisting and turning the camera, zoom blurs, & multiple exposures. I like to take blur images out the window while a passenger in the car. It is always surprising and makes any journey more fun!

John Hackney
01-09-2016, 06:24 AM
Excellent panning technique that has created a wonderful sense of motion.

Jackie Schuknecht
01-09-2016, 03:53 PM
Cool that the feet are blurred out by the grasses. Love the earth tones, and just the right amount of sharpness on the fg Eland. Terrific work.

Diane Miller
01-09-2016, 11:31 PM
Excellent! The one in front anchors the rest so well! Perfect SS and pan speed! So perfect that all are so nicely contained in the frame!

Anita Bower
01-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Excellent. I like how the animals are held within the frame, yet, the motion blur makes it clear that they are running. Great colors and light.

Nancy Bell
01-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Thank you everyone! It was exciting to be there with these animals with their beautiful rich tan coats!

Dennis Bishop
01-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Wow!!! This is terrific. The colors and blur are just right, and you did a wonderful job panning. Very nicely done.

Kerry Perkins
01-10-2016, 11:48 PM
Great job of the in-camera effect. Reminds me so much of pictures I've seen in National Geographic Magazine over the years. :c3:

Nancy Bell
01-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Thank you very much, everyone!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
01-22-2016, 08:24 PM
Nancy,

Greetings. Outstanding in-camera shot. Just wanted to say about the dust bunnies for this type of image... I feel your pain. ;-)

Cheers,

-Michael-