PDA

View Full Version : Theme Last Look

Loi Nguyen
01-08-2016, 07:30 PM
The sun was setting on a beautiful afternoon in Ottawa. The female Snowy Owl gave me and Daniel Cadieux a last look before flying off to her high perch for the evening. I was debating whether I would put on a TC for a more close up portrait in golden light, but at the end I just took the shots with the bare 500f4 II lens.

1DX
500f4 II
1/1000
f8
ISO-800
HH
Cropped to ~ 33% of FF

Wish both eyes are more visible, but that was not to be this time.

Thank you for commenting on my posts

Loi

Grace Scalzo
01-08-2016, 09:27 PM
Beautiful owl, gorgous light. The snow on the perch is perfect. Agree with your comment about her eyes, but it's not so easy getting them to look straight at you as one might think. I'd smooth out the bg- the few dark spots and the round light one.

Steve Kaluski
01-09-2016, 03:48 AM
Hi Loi, gorgeous light, this is what makes images so special.

I think I'm 50/50 on adding the 1.4, you may have lost a fraction, if any, on IQ rather than cropping, but as presented it looks good. Yes, looking too you would have elevated the image, but you have to take what you can get. With hindsight, maybe a step to your left would have addressed both the eyes and omitted the slightly darker halo (probably OOF tress) on the RHS as viewed of the head to have more even blue, but this is being a tad picky.

Nice one.

TFS
Steve

Randy Stout
01-09-2016, 06:43 AM
Loi:

Thoughtful comments from above. Lovely light, yes the gaze could be slightly better. I certainly was not immediately struck by the background items mentioned, but in viewing them, might soften the lighter circle just to the left , and maybe soften the darker background area on right side, but I don't find either of them to be a major issue, because the lighting really draws the eye to the bird.

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
01-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Beautiful Snowy in great light, Loi.

dennis greenwood
01-09-2016, 07:56 AM
What a beautiful owl to get the opportunity to photograph ,I like the comp and potion of the head ,just adds a something to the overhaul image

Bill Dix
01-09-2016, 10:43 AM
Simply gorgeous light, well exposed and nice detail. Good comments above, but I'd love this just as posted. I might consider moving the bird just a sliver off-center to the right.

gail bisson
01-09-2016, 02:12 PM
What stunning light! Doesn't get much better than this.
Agree about the eye.
I would smooth out the whitish circle just to the left of the owl.I like the bit of snow on the fence post.
Gail

Stu Bowie
01-10-2016, 02:53 AM
Hi Loi, good eye contact in sweet, sweet light. Well exposed, and you achieved good DOF too. Well captured.

Jim Crosswell
01-12-2016, 12:08 PM
I like the light, exposure and details. Nice image Loi.