PDA

View Full Version : Eckla Eagle Mount

Jim Keener
01-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Greetings. I'm looking for experience-based information on the use of an Eckla Eagle mount to support a gimbal, ball head, or beanbag holding a super telephoto lens. Please and thank you.

wendall bettenhausen
01-28-2016, 09:29 PM
hello, I am a new member and this will by my first post. I have used the eckla eagle since it first came out and have been very satisfied with it. I use a manfrotto 393 gimbal lens mount on mine. prior to the eckla eagle I used an early version of the kirk window mount with less than satisfactory results. I use a canon 600mm f4 lens and the combination of the eckla eagle with the manfrotto 393 gimbal mount provides a very stable shooting platform. I also added some Wimberley flash bracket sections to it so I can use my 580ex for fill flash. if I learn how to attach pictures with a post, I will try and post pictures of the setup. it does have it's limitations. it's not as flexible for birds in flight as hand holding the lens. if most of your shooting is animals on the ground, in bushes/trees, it is excellent for that. one really nice benefit is being able to keep the lens/camera in shooting position while driving through the area you are taking pictures. if you have any questions, let me know and I will try my best to answer them.

wendall bettenhausen
02-01-2016, 09:14 PM
hello, one thing I didn't mention in my earlier reply is that I use the eckla eagle inside my vehicle with the support piece resting on the arm rest of the driver door. in at least one of the reviews I read prior to buying mine, it showed the eckla eagle being used with it being outside the door of the vehicle. my experience is this is an awkward way to use it and difficult to stabilize. with it mounted inward, it is easier to handle the lens/camera as you take pictures.