PDA

View Full Version : Glacier

Steve Kaluski
01-08-2016, 12:08 PM
This area is perhaps a Landscape photographers dream/heaven location, as there is just so much to shoot, however weather and light can change oh so quickly. Not perhaps doing this section justice as there is some fantastic images posted, but here is another, again shot from a zodiac hence the high SS and raised ISO. It's not an HDR image, but I wanted to create more depth within this Glacier.

Again, apologies in the late reply to the previous image, however thanks for the kind words.

Steve

Subject: Glacier
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/11 ISO3200
Original format: Landscape, very slight crop from the top, FF on width
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

Anette Mossbacher
01-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Hi Steve,

Glaciers look great and give all sorts of opportunities for images. You brought out all bits and pieces of details in this one. I personally would pull back a bit of detail as this seems a bit harsh to me. That is just me, of course.

Which glacier was this?

Have a great weekend

Ciao Anette

Andreas Liedmann
01-09-2016, 01:33 PM
Hi Steve i really like the overall comp , the layered image content , the colors and tones .
I am with Anette , for my taste too much of detail extraction took place :w3 , as always a matter of taste .

But keep experimenting

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
01-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the works you two, however I lost the working file LOL, so will need to start again anyway, first time for a very long time that's happened, DOH!!!

detail extraction

Not used, you know I am not a lover of that process Andreas, it a variation of Contrasts etc :w3.

Andreas Liedmann
01-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Steve you can also extract detail with other tools , like adding more contrast locally with curves / blend modes etc . in combination with some great lumo masks and even pushed more when one blurs the used masks .... same effect no filter needed :bg3: , the DE is for the no brainer fraction .
I did not say you have used a detail extraction filter , as i can never say what tools one used on a certain image , i might think one used this or that , but never know until one says yes or no to a certain feeling i had .

Any way it does not matter to me for the moment , just think it is looking a bit overdone for me . As i sometimes say, if this is the final merged layer i would lower the opacity to maybe 50 % , but in the end you as the artist have to like it the most .

Cheers Andreas

Don Railton
01-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Hi Steve

Very interesting study of a glacier... From my point of view its the details in the ice that appeals, although pulling back a touch on these details would not hurt, I agree its slightly overdone. I also think you could crop a little more sky, my suggestion is to the top of the mountain RHS that is behind the mist/cloud (its just visable..) I would also consider lightening the image just a little, it looks dark to me..

regards

DON

Don Lacy
01-11-2016, 09:44 AM
Wonderful image Steve agree with Don on the crop and would also pull back just ever so slightly on the detail but I do mean slightly I would err on the side of to much.

Steve Kaluski
01-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Thanks Don & Don, all very valuable input.

I had created a second 'Virtual copy' of the RAW because I wanted to try something else, but deleted the Tiff in error, DOH. So the converted RAW is still intact, so it's back to the finer refinements in PS and taking onboard the thoughts. I guess quite a bit is 'personal taste' and so, to a degree, I'm with Don L here, but, lets give it another whirl and see what happens, it may look totally different, who knows where this may go, that's the beauty of this process.

Cheers guys :wave:

Andrew McLachlan
02-07-2016, 07:45 AM
Beautiful details in this scene Steve. Agree on a little bit off the top. Very nice work!