PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel Landing Part II

Loi Nguyen
01-05-2016, 11:47 PM
Thank you very much for commenting on my previous post of a kestrel landing

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/132738

There was a discussion on whether the light was harsh or not - of course it's subjective - the post below is one frame before. The kestrel had just grabbed the stick and had full wing towards me. Unfortunately, the sun was still high up (2PM), casting a strong shadow on the kestrel right wing. I love the full wing position, but thought the shadow ruins the image. so decided to post the previous frame instead.

Here, I lifted the shadow heavily (+5), reduced hi3
500f4 II + 2X III = 1000mm
1/4000
f8
ISO-3200
HH over bean bag over car window.

Thank you again.

Loi

arash_hazeghi
01-06-2016, 12:54 AM
Hi Loi,

The light isn't that harsh here. Yes the shadow is there but isn't strong after your processing. With DPP, unlike ACR the lifted shadows maintain detail, it looks good to my eye.

Given the latitude of this location at 2PM the sun is actually relatively low in the sky this time of the year (sunset is around 4PM). So while it could be even better an hour after this, but I don't feel the light is holding this frame back at all.

The other frame didn't really work for me because of the BG and the flat far wing position, but this one works because the pose is much nicer and dynamic. I also like how he is grabbing the perch with one foot only. BG, despite being sky, has a subtle gradation with two tones which gives the image more depth and adds more interest. I would delete the other frame and keep this one :)

great work TFS

Ross Taylor
01-06-2016, 06:51 AM
Hi Loi, I really love your shot and everything about it. The shadow on the wing, which you minimized is fine, and in line with the under-tail. A little shadowing as such ads to the image (in my opinion) making the bird seem more 3-D or not flat. Your crop and composition seem to serve the image very well.
TFS-Ross

Frank Schauf
01-06-2016, 07:07 AM
Nice pose and sharp detail, Loi.

Bill Dix
01-06-2016, 09:56 AM
Wonderful pose, and tack sharp. The shadow doesn't ruin it for me at all. In fact, I'm wondering if your concern prompted you to use a bit of shadow/highlight? It seems slightly pale to me and perhaps just a few points of black to the neutrals might give it some pop (but of course that would also boost the shadow). A fine frame.

D. Robert Franz
01-06-2016, 10:52 AM
Superb capture here.. Timed perfectly!

Loi Nguyen
01-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Bill, thank you for your comment regarding the shadow. I wonder about it too after comparing it to a previous version with less shadow lifting. Will post later. Loi

annmpacheco
01-06-2016, 04:02 PM
What a beautiful landing shot, I too would like to see a less pale underwing repost, a stunner!

Mike Poole
01-06-2016, 05:32 PM
nice wing position and there is just enough clearance around the head so it doesn't get mixed up with the outstretched far wing. Add that bit of eye contact and the shot works nicely. Good PP work as well.

Mike

Geoffrey Montagu
01-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Great moment of landing captured so well, Loi. Beautiful wing and tail position, talon grab, and head angle. Sharp as a tack.

Geoffrey

Karl Egressy
01-06-2016, 09:35 PM
This is wow image, Loi. Great!!

Richard Gollar
01-06-2016, 10:27 PM
Really nice shot

Loi Nguyen
01-07-2016, 01:24 AM
Thank you everyone for your helpful comments. Here is a version of the image that I didn't lift the shadow as much. Loi

David Salem
01-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Great looking frame Loi. The pose and the graduated blue sky look fantastic. I'm glad you are getting some good frames out here. Arash is right on the time of day right now.
At about 2-2:30 is the time I start my evening shooting. The sun at this time of the year is pretty low and by 4:30 it is about over in my area. It doesn't look to harsh but it doesn't have that evening color to it yet.
Well done

Satish Ranadive
01-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Excellent Image. Spectacular landing pose with superb IQ.
Beautiful composition.

Regards,
Satish.