PDA

View Full Version : A Crash of Rhino

Gabriela Plesea
01-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Dear Friends,

I wish to share with you something I call the "awesome threesome", recently captured in a Game Reserve I shall not name for obvious reasons. Been struggling with this image for the last four nights, for this reason I have been commenting only and not posting:) Decided to share eventually, and I would really like to have your opinions and critiques, be it of a technical nature or otherwise.

A difficult frame in terms of PP work and I admit I am not entirely happy with the final result. Taken in very harsh light and in a hurry, should the question arise the FP is on the character in the middle of the scene.

Myself and Andre were in the vehicle near a mud hole that fills up to form a little pool when there is good rain. There was very little mud left but I still hoped some animals would pitch up to have a drink or wallow. We were lucky, a warthog with babies arrived and we had some fun watching the little ones interact, soon a big buffalo appeared at the scene (a true dagga boy) and he rolled about for a while, oxpeckers all over his face. Suddenly this bunch of rhino crashed the scene, they were running and seemed unstoppable...We were only metres away from them, I framed best I could and shot a single burst, aiming at the rhino in the middle and quickly changing from F6.3 to F8.

WDYT?

For interest' sake, have a good look at the female on the RHS: I think she is pregnant:) Some hope for the future?

Nikon D3S
Nikon 300 mm F2.8
ISO 800
F8
1/1250s

Time: 10:26 am

Processed in LR and PSCC, exposure, curves, a tad of D/B, sharpened for web. Kindly let me know what you think and whether in your opinion this can be improved on. I have another six versions of this, by the way:)

Steve Kaluski
01-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Hi Gabriela, I'm glad you posted this and I know how frustrated you felt with this particular image in PP. However, what a great sighting, one is cool, but three is a real bonus.

If I was in your shoes I would have got Andre to back up as you must have seen or heard these guys approach. Then track them in the viewfinder to a point at which you could start to fire off a few frames, may be one or two earlier to check the histogram & framing. You would then have time between entering and leaving the shooting area, (if your with me) to avoid things like short FG, moving the whole frame down in this instance would have helped. Personally I'm ok with the DoF, but again, would like to have seen you at least 1/2000 minimum.

The harsh light wasn't on your side, however, I know you can get more from the image.

So I might output another Tiff from LR and look at a Luminosity layer perhaps :w3, then look at what else you need to be addressed such as MT, Darks & Shadows, Colour balance etc, etc... But remember, adding a Luminosity adjustment can/may add a colour shift if not done correctly. This isn't a 'silver bullet' and often gets over used in a Workflow which isn't right, as it was designed to address other/specific issues in Landscapes to my knowledge, but in this instance it may help. Kept stepping back and leaving the image for a while, then return, as I think you were getting too close to the image and could not 'see the wood for the trees :S3:'.

Lets hope that female goes full term and a new bundle of joy arrives safe & sound and has a good future.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
01-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Thank you Steve, for understanding my frustrations and for your help :5

There was not a chance to back up as there was a vehicle behind us, LOL. And you would not believe the speed they were running at! Switching on the car engine would have caused them a degree of distress as we were right in front of them, only meters away but sheltered under the shade of a tree, part of the "furniture" so to speak... They ignored us completely as they rushed to wallow in whatever mud was left. The poor Buffalo fled to safety when he saw them approach.

I am giving this frame a break, need to step back I know... four nights in a row doing PP work on the same image is way too long. I did remember your advice long time ago but just could not help it, it was like a stone in my shoe and I had to either post it or delete it. Will give it another try at the week-end or just go back to that mud hole and wait for the rhinos to pitch up again. I might take that 200 lens along in case that little bundle of joy is present at the scene...

Once again thank you for your advice and positive thinking, encouraging as always and so motivating. Will I ever see the wood for the trees? I will, from time to time. In-between... oh well, you'll have to just be patient with me...

Good night Steve:tinysmile_shy_t:

Rachel Hollander
01-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Hi Gabriela - What a great sighting! I love how the 3 seem to be blocking the road and all walking with a purpose and heads up. Light was a bit harsh but you handled it well. As always, you are too hard on yourself. The dof works and all are sharp. Yes, a bit more room at the bottom and to the right would be preferable. Going back with the 70-200 for a wider view sounds like a good idea. Let's hope the little one arrives and has a long life.

TFS,
Rachel

keith mitchell
01-06-2016, 03:47 AM
Gabriela striving for perfection is hard, still looking on the positives you have a smashing image of these three magnificent animals together which must be a rare capture,looks like they are coming out of my monitor ,bet it was a thrill getting this .

Keith.

haseeb badar
01-06-2016, 04:35 AM
Hi Gabriela -- Muat have been a real thrilling experience , and three rhinos head-on .... WOW !! You have handled the light really well and dof is fine enough , the only thing is the framing . Nothing to comment on that as you faced certain hurdles in this sudden moment . TFS !

D. Robert Franz
01-06-2016, 10:40 AM
A great story and wonderful photo opp. You dealt quite well with some difficult lighting conditions. The diagonal line formed by the rhino's makes for a strong composition...

Gabriela Plesea
01-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Thank you so much Rachel, Keith, Haseeb and Dale.

It was indeed a thrill, seeing and capturing this. Unfortunately I did not take the 200 lens with that day.

Yes, I am hard on myself. I have a great number of images I have not shared yet because I am not entirely happy with them. But I cannot resist sharing a good sighting from time to time...glad you liked this scene, you guys are so kind, thank you.

Kind regards,