PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to buy a Windows laptop...

Lance Warley
06-07-2008, 03:20 PM
...with a really good display for postprocessing, what would you buy?

Some answers potential questions about my question:
- Hardware prereqs must include a dual processor and 4gb of ram...not unusual these days. The hard drives that come with these kinds of laptops are typically 80 gb or bigger, which is fine. External drives can always be added.
- Comments not desired on XP 2gb limit or Vista issues, please.
- I'm not interested in Apple. No sermonizing, please.

The real deal: I like working in a recliner with a laptop on my lap. I don't like working in a chair at a desk.

I'm actually fine with the laptop I have now for running CS3 along with my business software, EXCEPT for the display. When I look at my photos on other displays, I sometimes see color casts that aren't revealed on my laptop's 15" 1400x1050 LCD display. I'm looking for a display that would show cc's when they exist.

Thanks in advance.

Tony Whitehead
06-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi Lance,I went through this exercise about 6 months ago and was considering a Dell XPS with LED backlit screen but could not find any really good reviews of it for photo work. Found good feedback on Apple MacBook Pro 15" so went with that and used Parallels to run Lightroom, PS, BreezeBrowser. Found Lightroom and PS fine but Breeze slow under Parallels. Lightroom licence was cross platorfom so insatalled this under Mac and have since migrated PS and eliminate dBreeze from my workflow for most things. Things will have changed in 6 months but at that stage if I felt the best windows laptop was a MacBook Pro with Windows installed via Bootcamp. Not a sermon just my journey.

Sandra Nykerk
06-08-2008, 10:42 AM
I went through all of the same decision-tree components last fall when my laptop suddenly crashed. I had been planning to replace it but was forced to do so much more quickly than intended. Screen was the priority, as was the ability to support 4G of RAM. Fortunately, I happened to be in Chicago and was able to head to a large super store and compare many units side-by-side while they were online -- on my website so I had knew what it "should" look like. Resolution was also a factor -- not too high, which made everything so small. I also wanted a black case, so that there would be a black matrix around the screen when processing images as I find the silver very distracting. In the end, it came down to a Sony or a Fujitsu and I went with the Fujitsu, which is just beginning to be appear in the major stores in the US. I have been very happy with it and the screen is beautiful. A colleage just purchased a new Sony and when we compared the screens side-by-side, I thought the Fujitsu looked a little better, although they were both beautiful.

Hope this helps.

Sandra

Axel Hildebrandt
06-08-2008, 03:26 PM
I had a Sony Vaio with glossy 17 inch widescreen XBrite display, which worked really well for post-processing. The current configurable model is called AR 770. It has optional WUXGA 1920x1200 resolution, which is what I used. The specs meet all your requirements.

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2008, 11:12 PM
THough your lap may start to hurt at 15 plus pounds I am using HP's 20" Pavilion HDX (Dragon). Very happy with the monitor and do PS on it.

Rene A
06-17-2008, 07:15 PM
I recently bought new custom config HP laptop 17" screen from HP online. After only 2 months it broke. HP had to replace the inverter...the pc was shipped back after 12 days..with the inverter fix but put together wrong ..it would not close..the latches where broken.. & metal pieces on the lcd screen & totally full of black grease fingerprints.....so back again to HP outsourced service center...for another 14 days. On top of it you spent 20 hours on the phone getting there because you can't understand their customer service people from the other side of the world...the laptop is fixed now...BUT my next one will definetely come the from these people to save myself grieve ....even it it is a few $$$ more

http://www.powernotebooks.com/

check them out here

www.reselllerratings.com

Alfred Forns
06-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Lance by an Apple laptop and run Windows :) They are the highest rated !!!!

Maxis Gamez
06-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I have a Dell with the Ultrasharp LCD. Happy with it!

Brian Wong
06-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi Lance!

I am aware that you are not interested in opinions on the various Operating Systems ... However, "If you were going to buy a Windows laptop today" .... I just wanted to inform everyone that Dell announced that TODAY, is the very LAST day you can order any laptop (or any machine) with XP installed.

Lance Warley
06-19-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks, everyone.

I went in a different direction - I bought the 22" Lenovo L220x. 1920x1200 8-bit.

It looks so good, I want to have a relationship with it.

Steve Wheeler
06-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I think they have 12 Step programs for that kind of thing Lance....