PDA

View Full Version : Mr Grumpy

Charlene Bacchioni
01-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Found this juvenile malachite kingfisher in the reeds at a nature reserve.He was having a bad hair day and wasn't catching any fish.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Canon lens 600mm f4 from car window on a bean bag
f/5.6
1/1000 sec.
ISO-800
Focal length 600

Jonathan Ashton
01-02-2016, 03:32 AM
An appealing image I like the reed stems, pity the wing tip and tail were just clipped but I like the composition. I think I would brighten the dark brown areas a little bit especially the eyes.

David Cowling
01-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Nice composition and I like the 'bad hair'. Agree with brightening up the dark areas and I might also loose the bright oof reed stem on the right.

gail bisson
01-02-2016, 01:44 PM
I just love these little jewels.
I love the hairdo! Makes this image IMHO.
I don't know what your ethics are re: cloning but I would clone out the reed on the RHS. And with a bit of work you could even take the reed on the LHS away ( although that reed doesn't bother me as much as the one on the RHS.)
In hindsight, had you shot this at a smaller aperture you would have gotten the bill sharp through to the tip.
Gail

Lorant Voros
01-02-2016, 11:08 PM
This is certainly the jewel of the lakes and rivers. I love the hair as well. I'd also remove the reed from left and right. TFS.

John Hackney
01-03-2016, 09:14 PM
What a lovely bird with great colors. If the exposure is true on the bird I would not change that at all. I agree on removing the RHS reed. From the looks of the photo I think the left one could be removed if you so desired without causing any issue.

Charlene Bacchioni
01-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Thank you for all the advice ,much appreciated.Learning a lot from all the comments.