PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 150 - 600 mm F5 - 6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Canon Mount Lens

philperry
01-01-2016, 07:07 AM
A Very Happy New Year to everyone. Here's to lots of great picture taking in 2016 !

I am finding carrying photo gear a bigger and bigger problem that is starting to make me reluctant to do various trips. I am now favouring photo tours that supply or rent big lenses. And have big lenses for places I can drive myself to. But there are many locations I want to visit but need to fly to. So I wondered what people think of the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens (for Canon). Would this lens take good enough photos to make my trips worthwhile as a "one lens does all" piece of equipment ? I should add that being there and the thrill of actually taking pictures is a major part of my enjoyment from wildlife photography. If I get some nice photos for my websites and screen saver then I am happy. Your thoughts would be most helpful people.

Don Lacy
01-04-2016, 04:25 PM
From everything I have read and seen the lens is capable of producing quality images I do believe the sport version is better. The on caveat I have seen is that you really need to spend the time to calibrate it to your camera with the dock.

philperry
01-05-2016, 05:09 AM
Thanks Don. I will look into the calibration requirement. I think the sport version might be too heavy for me. But I will look again.

Jerry van Dijk
01-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Not sure under what conditions you will be using the lens, but I believe the Sport version of this lens has much more extensive weather sealing than the C version. However, when weight is your main concern, the C is the best choice. Did you also consider the Tamron 150-600?

philperry
01-06-2016, 04:52 AM
Thanks Jerry. I have not actually looked at the Tamron. I should do that. The lens would be used on air travel trips. So European wildlife sites and African safaris - not extreme conditions apart from African dust. So you might have a point. I just find travelling with heavy bags a real problem these days - getting old !