PDA

View Full Version : Grey Seal splash

Andreas Liedmann
12-30-2015, 03:30 PM
Hi folks the almost last Seal for this year :bg3: ..... well i do not know for sure as still one day to go
Image captured again on Helgoland in 2015
Subadult seal causing trouble to another friend just out of the frame .
Wish the algae was not there but ....... no seal was on duty to clean up the beach area i was shooting :wave:

Canon EOS 1D MK IV
EF 200-400 IS L at 400 mm
HH lying flat in the mud :c3: and algae

F 8 ; Iso 500 ; 1/1250 sec ; AV mode ; + 0,75 EV

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC , cropped for comp from all sides slightly

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Daniel Cadieux
12-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Hey Andreas, I agree with you about the algae but the image is quite a stunner regardless. The side lighting really made the water action shine, and enough of the seal's face is lit to make it work on the subject too.

Mark Needham
12-31-2015, 04:31 AM
Love the water movement here. As Daniel said, great light made the water "pop" and there is also good light on the face. I might be tempted to lighten or remove some of the dark rocks in the immediate foreground, but that is a really minor thing. Lying in the mud ... good for the skin :bg3: Happy New Year, Andreas! :cheers:

Rachel Hollander
12-31-2015, 09:55 AM
Hi Andreas - Another great low pov and the water splashing really makes this image. Colors and tones look good. I might be tempted to crop out the sand at the bottom, it somehow makes the algae/seaweed less distracting.

Happy New Year and TFS,
Rachel

Andre Pretorius
12-31-2015, 12:43 PM
Hi Andreas

Happy New Year!
Agree with Rachel re crop- the algae or seaweed or distraction is less obvious...

Maybe he was the Seal on Duty, was late, saw the photographer...rushing to clean up?:2eyes2: :5

Gabriela Plesea
12-31-2015, 02:32 PM
Well, another superb image and this "seals" it for this year, Andreas...It was a great 2015 for BPN Wildlife, what a number of stunners and we have all learnt something from each other. Thank you for your contribution, my friend !

This is superb, not easy to pull of I suppose with all that water splash, and I really don't mind the algae. Lovely framing and well presented, great techs as well as PP work. Mmm, I have ran out of superlatives...
So good to know you Andreas, and glad you have become our Boetie. Looking forward to September 2016:cheers:

Warmest regards,

keith mitchell
01-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Andreas have seen a lot of Seal pictures this one is the tops for me, all that splashing water yet you have still managed to get that lovely doleful eye,excellent.

Happy New Year.
Keith.

Steve Kaluski
01-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Hi Andreas, the kelp is a bit unfortunate, but that's life. Good POV and I like the slight angle and the contrast of light, it adds to the image. I would have liked a higher SS, even on the MKIV, but was it the reach you needed, apposed to using the 1DX, as the capture could have been better I feel with the 1DX?

TFS
Steve

haseeb badar
01-04-2016, 05:37 AM
Hi Andreas -- stunning image , i loved this one regardless of the algae , very well done . TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
01-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Andreas great shot I like everything, I disagree with you regarding the seaweed, it looks natural and it looks real. I remember once someone saying, "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is".

D. Robert Franz
01-06-2016, 10:35 AM
Some nice action and lighting here. Well done!

Andreas Liedmann
01-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Thanks so much folks for all your comments/ suggestions , as always much appreciated .
Yes i could have going tighter to avoid the FG a tiny bit , but i think it is only a marginal issue so the framing will stay as is .

Thanks again and cheers Andreas