PDA

View Full Version : Gymnogene with Bat

Morkel Erasmus
12-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Hello folks! I haven't posted in Avian for a while but thought I would get one last one in for 2015 before I head to the Kalahari.

Earlier this year I was hosting a wildlife photography seminar in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve (bordering Kruger National Park) and early one morning we came across an African Harrier Hawk (Gymnogene) acrobatically hunting for prey in the bark of a dead leadwood tree. It was a fascinating sighting, the bird really put on a display hanging upside down from its talons at times to break off pieces of bark. It was quite overcast but some soft light hit the clouds behind the bird for some colour in the sky.

Eventually, when reviewing the images later, I realised the intended prey was a colony of bats nesting in the dead tree. In this frame there's one in its beak.

I wish all of you a wonderfully productive and creative 2016 with regards to your photography!! :5 :cheers:

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f5.6 | 1/1000 SS | ISO-3600

Bill Dix
12-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Wonderful wing position showing such nice detail in this beautiful Harrier. The bat is a plus. Great comp, but the snag coming off the LH trunk at the top of the frame doesn't do much for me. Image feels surprisingly cool, especially for early morning.

gail bisson
12-29-2015, 02:51 PM
The wingspread and action depicted are contest worthy. Just wish you had more light.
I agree with Bill re: dead branch at the top.
I would be tempted to brightness the bird selectively.
Really amazing hunting behavior you captured,
Gail

Arthur Morris
12-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Wonderful pose and behavior. I am fine with the right hand trunk. I would definitely lighten at least the bird and possibly the whole thing as it all looks dark to me.... a

keith mitchell
12-31-2015, 04:42 AM
Agree with the above,Morkel it's great that you caught this fine looking Raptor in the act of plundering these Bats, very well caught.

Keith.

Gerhard Weldhagen
12-31-2015, 07:10 AM
Colours on the bird looks correct for this species. Nice exposure on the underwing with good detail.

arash_hazeghi
12-31-2015, 04:55 PM
A very unique image Morkel, and I like the story behind it, congrats! I agree it's a bit dark

TFS and happy new year!

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Thanks a lot folks, will rework my exposure on this one, tough conditions as you can see... :5