PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon and chick

gail bisson
12-27-2015, 06:23 AM
I hope everyone had a good Christmas and wish you all Happy Holidays!
Took this in Kamloops last summer.
I am not sure about this image. Can't decide if I like it:Whoa!:
Canon 1Dx 600mm and 1.4 x
ISO 1600 SS 1/250 f 6.3
Sun had just come up and for a brief moment lit up this patch of misty water which had been in the shade.I really had to work to get the color balance right.
Crop to 60% FF- not sure about this crop. I do not have any more of the parent's body on the left and the other parent's butt is to the right of the chick.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Karl Egressy
12-27-2015, 08:39 AM
I really like the action in this image, Gail. I find the bright yellow is a bit overwhelming , although I know it is natural in a situation you described.
I was wondering if it would be better to gradually limit the bright yellow like this:

Grace Scalzo
12-27-2015, 11:19 AM
All the techs are impressive...dof, sharpness with slow ss, etc. I like the chick's angle to you and he is bright-eyed and eager to receive the morsel. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the yellow water color. Personal taste of course.

dankearl
12-27-2015, 12:42 PM
The chick is so good, it makes the image. I like what Karl did, if the IQ held, I wouldn't mind a tighter crop, a bit off all around.

gail bisson
12-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Thanks Karl for your repost. I like the "new" toned down yellow.

William Dickson
12-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Yes, the 2nd post for me. More pleasing to the eye. Love the interaction.

Well done Gail.

Will

Randy Stout
12-29-2015, 06:09 PM
Gail:

I have taken literally thousands of shots of adult loons feeding the chicks, and it is always a challenge to get everyone in the focus plane, facing the right direction, eyes open, etc. The chick is really cute here, probably only 2-3 days old, with food item, well exposed, effective dof. Because the center of all the action is the chick and the food item, the angle of the adult is less bothersome than it would normally be. I certainly would try some alternative crops, with more off the left and top for sure. Cropping from the left reduces the apparent angle of the adult away from us to my eye.

I was just up north(MI) and the lakes have finally iced over for the first time this year. Looking forward for the loons returns in April.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
12-29-2015, 07:55 PM
What do I know. I like all of them. A special image for me. a