PDA

View Full Version : Black-capped Chickadee with an Attitude.

Daniel Cadieux
12-26-2015, 10:34 AM
A bit slow these past few weeks with little time to get out, but here is a quick setup I did to satisfy the growing bird photography bug that was digging ever deeper inside. The resident "feeder" birds sure are life savers sometimes when time is of the essence!! This fella momentarily raised its crest and tried to look menacing when a nuthatch landed close-by.

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, nyger seeds sprinkled into the grooves and crevices of the rotting perch and some spread directly below the frame, FF image.

Gabriela Plesea
12-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Hello Daniel!

Stunning and very cheeky looking Chickadee!

I like the rough-looking perch and the BG is perfect, lovely colours overall and super comp:)

I personally would have liked more DOF, nevertheless, what a lovely portrayal of the species and I love the alert eye, raised crest and that cute tiny beak!

Thank you so much for sharing, I throughly enjoyed viewing!

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
12-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Hi Dan, great colour pallet, the blacks of the head plumage just works oh so well as the accent colour to bring some nice contrast into play here. Perfectly exposed, with a killer backdrop and nice to see a different type of perch which also blends into the overall colours scheme, planned or luck?? :S3:

Like Gabriela, I too would like to have seen a bit more DoF, primarily for the legs.

Enjoy the Festive period and all the best for 2016.

TFS
Steve

Karl Egressy
12-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Hi Daniel,
The pose, perch background are excellent but the bird looks like having motion blur.

Daniel Cadieux
12-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Hey guys, thanks! I'm OK with the dof as is, but had it been sunnier I may have stopped down to f/8.

Hi Karl, which part looks like having motion blur?

Karl Egressy
12-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Hey guys, thanks! I'm OK with the dof as is, but had it been sunnier I may have stopped down to f/8.

Hi Karl, which part looks like having motion blur?
Hi Daniel,

I copied it over and enlarged it and I realized that it was my eyes. T
he head, beak, eye look pretty sharp, no motion blur at all.
Sorry.

Daniel Cadieux
12-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Phew, that's a relief! Thanks for double checking:c3:

gail bisson
12-27-2015, 06:37 AM
Sweet little bird!
Great BG color that really compliments the chickadee.
Good perch too.
Gail

Grace Scalzo
12-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Cute! The posture makes the image for me.