PDA

View Full Version : Northern Harriet Preening

Loi Nguyen
12-23-2015, 04:50 PM
After 3 seasons of trying to get a decent image of a Northern Harriet, I finally got one that I like. Normally the Norther Harriets are the shy raptors and I could never approach them even in a car. Catching them in flight is a good option, but I have not been able to get anything decent. So, I was astonished to see this perched Northern Harriet on a low branch this past Sunday. First I thought this was a juvenile Red Tailed, but in close inspection, it was a Northern Harriet! Didn't want to push my luck, so I stopped at quite a distance and took this image with a 500f4 II + 2X III extender. Later I tried to reposition the vehicle for a take off shot and lost him.

1DX
500f4 II + 2X III = 1000mm
1/4000
F10
ISO-1600
Bean bag over car window.

Taken at David Salem's location.

Loi

gail bisson
12-23-2015, 06:43 PM
I think you mean harrier " not harriet":w3
You are so lucky to get an image of this skittish bird preening.
I like the BG and the light.Very nice perch.Excellent DOF and good choice of aperture.
I just wish I could see more of the eye/face,
Gail

Loi Nguyen
12-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Hi Gail, yes of course it's Northern Harrier. Thank you. I have other shots that had clear eye/face but not the preening pose.

Allen Sparks
12-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Hi Loi,
Very nice capture of the preening behavior with fine sharpness and exposure. well done.
Allen

arash_hazeghi
12-24-2015, 01:51 AM
Very nice close encounter Loi, it has the classic SoCal look. I also wish to see more eye.

TFS

Karl Egressy
12-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Nice preening pose, more showing the head would be better.