PDA

View Full Version : Red-thorated Loon

Michael Moore
12-23-2015, 10:49 AM
I was pretty happy with this photo of an immature Red-throated Loon, a difficult to capture subject. I like the low camera angle, the head angle and I think the fact that it is climbing the wave gives it a more dynamic feel. Comments and suggestions welcome!

Mike Moore, Newark, DE

Randy Stout
12-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Mike:

Not a common subject here on BPN. We have a few common loon images show up from time to time, but not the red-throated species. Agree with your self assessment. I would consider more room to the left if you have it, and loons often work well with pano crops.

Please include your camera/lens data, any post processing work details. I am also curious where this fellow was captured?

Hope to see more.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
12-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Good species to photograph for sure. I like the waves in the water. Good details overall. Too bad the light angle is just off enough to render the neck and part of the face in shadow. As posted I would also consider trimming some canvas off the bottom.

Michael Moore
12-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the comments. Sorry I left off the details. Always appreciate help with cropping as I never seem to be able to make up my mind!

This is a bird that was hanging around the boat launching ramp for several weeks at Augustine Beach in DE. It seemed to have become accustomed to people. It was possible to get to water level and then wait for it to come in range.

Shot with a Canon 7D mk II, Canon 100-400 mk II and Canon 1.4X III TC. Hand held. Processed in PS with some light touches of Topaz DeNoise and Adjust. Only slightly cropped to move it out of the center of the frame. The original cropped image this was downsized from is over 4000 px wide.

Mike