PDA

View Full Version : The Crack

Andrew McLachlan
12-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Near the end of September I was in Ontario's Killarney Provincial Park for a few days. One of the main reasons for visiting the park was to hike to The Crack, which sits atop the La Cloche Mountain Range. This is a very strenuous hike but well worth the view once you reach the summit. The La Cloche Mountains are said to have stood taller than the Rocky Mountains, but after millions of years they have eroded away leaving behind a stunning view of exposed white quartzite throughout the range. Here is the view over Killarney Provincial Park looking down on Killarney Lake. To create this scene I lay down at the very edge of the white quartzite cliff that I was on to emphasize the white quartz and lichens at the cliff edge. My next visit to this location will be next October for peak Autumn color.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 18mm
ISO 200
f22 @ 1/20 sec
Nikon Polarizing Filter

Looking forward to comments & suggestions.

dankearl
12-23-2015, 01:26 PM
I might take a tad off the bottom, but that is it. a nice perspective...

Morkel Erasmus
12-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Agree with shaving some off the bottom Andrew.
Very lovely scene and love the vibrant colours. Shows you don't always need to shoot in the golden hour (most of us get too focused on that kind of light IMHO).
That being said - is this hike too tough to make for a sunrise/sunset shoot?

Don Lacy
12-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Wonderful perspective and view Andrew I cant wait to see it full of fall color. I agree with the others on the crop and I would also be tempted to tone down the bright ness of the rock also.

Rachel Hollander
12-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Hi Andrew - Looks like the hike was worth it. Beautiful scene and you handled the harsh light well. Good suggestion for a crop from the bottom. Also looking forward to seeing it with fall color.

TFS,
Rachel

Diane Miller
12-31-2015, 01:59 PM
A gorgeous and different scene. I love the wide-angle perspective of the FG rocks and would hate to lose any of it. I tried a gradient burn from the bottom, which helps move the eye along the subtle, lovely lines in the rock and up to the mid-ground.

This is a very subtle change, and it looks as though you may have done the same thing to a lesser extent.

Don Railton
01-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Hi Andrew.. Agree with the sliver off the bottom too.

DON

Andrew McLachlan
01-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions...Diane, I like the slight darkening that you did on the foreground white quartz.