PDA

View Full Version : Plain simple dove portrait - but

David Billingsley
06-07-2008, 08:58 AM
While this is just a very plain and simple dove shot - it is the first bird picture taken with a new 500 F4. I tried to justify a non-professional buying this lens and couldn't come close. So - I just did it anyway. The learning curve has begun. CC welcome.

40D
ISO 400
500 F4
f/5.6
1/100 sec
Flash HS synch -1 2/3
Better Beamer
Little Noise Ninja BKGRN
Portrait crop

John Chardine
06-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Love the colour here. What species is it? A little more eye contact (head turned more to the bird's left) would have been nice. The image is a little soft and may respond to some more sharpening. The 500 in my limited experience is capable of stunning sharpness if all the planets align.

Steve Maxson
06-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Congrats on the new lens! You will love it. I like the colors around the eye and agree with John that the image is a bit soft, as presented. In general, I'm not a big fan of fill-flash catchlights that are below the horizon line in the bird's eye as they scream FLASH, IMO. You might experiment with removing it or moving it higher on the eye to where one would expect to find a natural catchlight.

Manos Papadomanolakis
06-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I really like the tight composition and pose,but it looks a bit soft to my monitor

David Billingsley
06-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I agreed with them. This dove didn't stay long enough for more than two quick shots. When he saw me setting about 25 feet away he flew. It was late evening and no more came around. I know this lens has great capabilities - but it does present challenges and experience to get the most from it.

It is a White-winged Dove.

Doug Brown
06-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Congrats on the new purchase David! It's a great lens, but as you pointed out, there is a learning curve to getting the most out of it. Agree with above comments. Look forward to seeing more 500mm photos on BPN!

Johnny Bravo
06-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Here's some advice David.

Never, Ever, EVER sell your 500.

I did when I bought a 600. A year later and I had to go out and get another 500 to 'supplement' my 600. The 600 is a great lens, but it's heavy and it doesn't 'travel well' compared to the 500 (and the 500 is way fun on a Bushawk shoulder mount--since I don't take steroids I wouldn't dream of trying it with a 600).

Never, ever sell your 500.