PDA

View Full Version : Black-tailed prairie dog

D. Robert Franz
12-22-2015, 11:34 AM
While traveling in South Dakota over Thanksgiving I found several small colonies of luecistic black-tailed prairie dogs where all or many of the residents were white in color.
This is extremely rare. I was traveling with family so I didn't have a lot of time to photograph them (grab shots). Hope to go back again. Got down low to get a pleasing angle and control BG.

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Copyright: D. Robert & Lorri Franz
Shutter speed: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1 1/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM

Steve Kaluski
12-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Hi Dale, like the overall soft colour palette and clean whites, well exposed/executed as expected, with a killer backdrop to boot! I also like the 'almost' twitching nose and whiskers.

Being ultra picky, I personally would just loose the hint of edge creeping above the FG rock on the RHS, I feel it would offer a cleaner/pleasing line, but certainly no deal breaker, just a thought.

Look forward to seeing more hopefully.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
12-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Hi Dale - Interesting to see and love the detail coming through. Nice tones and colors. It all works for me.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
12-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Hi Dale lovely to see something different :wave:.
I like the overall comp and the superb backdrop giving a stunning separation to the subject .
Nice soft colors and tones paired with stunning detail and very nice sharpness where it counts . :5
Nice work Dale , TFS Andreas

Just wondering a bit where Steve is seeing those clean whites in parts , as i do see some stunning blues/cyans showing up on the right side of the face ....... when being really picky :bg3:. Do not take this too serious , but they are there and could be easily addressed if you like .

TFS Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
12-22-2015, 01:53 PM
What a cute lil fellow! I like the details, the sharpness and comp. TFS.

Charlene Bacchioni
12-22-2015, 03:23 PM
I like the eye , you have captured an emotion .

keith mitchell
12-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Great detail in the face with those fine whiskers and dark eye, all sits well on that nice BG.

Keith.

Mike Poole
12-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Lovely details and nice to see another subject. Personally I'd like a touch more negative space on the right, but no big deal

Mike

Mark Needham
12-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Great details, eye contact, and low angle. I love these little guys - I used to live in Colorado where we saw prairie dogs all the time, but I never saw a white / luecistic one like this, so nice sighting! Agree with Andreas about toning down the cyan/blue on the RHS side of the face / neck - an easy fix.

haseeb badar
01-04-2016, 03:58 AM
Hi Dale -- Lovely image , beautiful colors and details . TFS !