PDA

View Full Version : Theme Wave running

Grace Scalzo
12-21-2015, 12:50 PM
This was a surprise find. I am on the south Texas Gulf coast spending time with family. Was driving along and all of a sudden saw a goldeneye. (Common - first year drake) Said to myself "am I really in Texas?" He is rather south of his typical winter range, but maybe we will blame El Nino. Anyhow, I stopped the car and slowly approached. He swam away but them floated back and over the next 1/2 hour, I slowly moved closer until he decided that I was more a curiosity than a threat. He allowed me full frame, water level shots with my bare 600 before being scared off by a dog walker. A tip if you find yourself wanting to get close to a subject and don't have a quick camo handy. Pull a ball cap down over your eyes and keep your face behind your lens and camera. Move inch by inch and when he dives. Doesn't always work, but sometimes it helps.

1/2500, f8, iso800
1dx, 600f4 + lowered rrs tripod

Laptop edited, hope it looks ok.

Daniel Cadieux
12-21-2015, 02:48 PM
You made the best of the unexpected opportunity! I love the action, great techs and processing. Highly enjoyable frame!

gail bisson
12-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Great find Grace!
Excellent IQ and the light has shown off the brown head perfectly.Whites look good.I also like the visible yellow leg.
Excellent advice!You might move inch by inch when they dive but I hustle my little butt as far as possible during that 3 or 4 seconds they are down! It ain't pretty but makes for a hilarious sight I am sure to any passerby!:bg3:
Merry Xmas to you and yours,
Gail

Ross Taylor
12-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Hi Grace, I really love this shot. The white water, the perspective it offers, and that it also is behind the bird, makes the shot in my opinion. No nits from me, just praise. Well Done!

TFS-Ross

William Dickson
12-21-2015, 06:01 PM
This is the one Love it :S3: You can actually read the Goldeneye's mind. Should I dive or Should I surf? :S3: All good and thanks for sharing Grace

Will

Karl Egressy
12-21-2015, 09:20 PM
"Pull a ball cap down over your eyes and keep your face behind your lens and camera."
Great advice, Grace.
This is how I got very close to a Snowy Owl perching at eye level in Spruce a few years ago.
About your image: looks great love the turbulent water in front of the duck.

Marina Scarr
12-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Great frame. Love the waves. I would take a little off of the left and the bottom. I tried it and to my eyes, it was a bit stronger.

So glad to hear you're shooting while in TX!! Merry Christmas to you and your family, Grace!!!

Grace Scalzo
12-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone. Marina, great suggestion, thanks...adds just a bit more anticiaption of the duck encountering the wave.