PDA

View Full Version : Father and son.

Marc Mol
12-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Early morning and the entire Selinda pride numbering 21 with the 2 pride males present, continue feasting on a buffalo they took down the morning before.

Here father and son share a wonderful bonding session bathed in glorious golden light.:bg3:

Would have liked the cub a little less unobstructed, but this was about the best angle of view I could garner, cropping out a small dead tree on the LHS, left this somewhat central, but the inclusion of habitat makes up for this in some ways.

Selinda- Botswana.

D4s 400 f/2.8E FL 1/1000s f/5.6 ISO450. Reduced exp down -.67, 30% crop for comp, Bean bag from front pax seat, curves, levels, TK masking adj, in PS CC'15 & ACR.

Cheers
Marc

Morkel Erasmus
12-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Hey Marc. A notable moment captured, but not your strongest in terms of composition, overall presentation etc. I actually don't mind that the youngster is half hidden.
I'd have liked a sliver more space off the RHS, but the light was just a tad strong. Albeit morning light it seems it was taken just into that acute angle at which even mid morning light seems harsh. Sorry, mate, calling it like I see it. :e3

Marc Mol
12-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Thanks Morkel

Hey Marc. A notable moment captured, but not your strongest in terms of composition, overall presentation etc. I actually don't mind that the youngster is half hidden.
I'd have liked a sliver more space off the RHS, but the light was just a tad strong. Albeit morning light it seems it was taken just into that acute angle at which even mid morning light seems harsh. Sorry, mate, calling it like I see it. :e3

I don't have the exact time on this image (it showed 3/01/2014 01.54??? :2eyes2:malfunction) but can tell you it was actually just as the first light hit the grasses and must have been around 6.00am,

certainly not harsh but directly hitting those grass stalks does give the impression it may have been. Appreciate your honesty........call 'em as you see 'em. :w3

Andreas Liedmann
12-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi Marc , a sweet moment between the two ..... big & small :w3.
You handled the light quite well , lovely tones and colors in the landscape , more difficult within the subjects , but you did quite well with the Lions . I wish the cub would have been a bit more visible , but guess most of the viewers would think the same :bg3:.
I am not too fuzzed about the crop though , too much of dead space on RHS for my taste i miss some balance within this crop .
TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
12-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Hi Marc - the light does look nice and the tones. Definitely a tender moment. I too wish the cub was less obstructed (presume this is what you meant to say). However, for it to really work I think you needed to shift the comp left with less dead space on the rhs. A bit more space behind the cub and perhaps then you could have also avoided the oof green shrub in the fg on the right.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
12-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Thanks Rachel

However, for it to really work I think you needed to shift the comp left with less dead space on the rhs. A bit more space behind the cub and perhaps then you could have also avoided the oof green shrub in the fg on the right.

TFS,
Rachel

I did mention that there was a small dead tree that initiated cropping from that LHS (next to the cub), giving me a more central comp than I would have liked. :w3

Cropping out the OOF greenery on the RHS, would have led to a square crop which I'm not in favour of in nature photography.

haseeb badar
01-04-2016, 03:45 AM
Hi MArc -- the first thing i felt when looking at this image that there is too much space on the RHS . I like the feel in this image especially the cub peeking out through tall grass and the big male giving it a look , nice colours as well . TFS !