PDA

View Full Version : King Rail

Geoffrey Montagu
12-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Image captured in August of 2014 on a Hudson River inlet in Bayonne NJ. Looking back at some previous images I came across this never before posted frame. This day we not only saw the King Rail, but Clapper Rails and youngsters, plus assorted other shore birds. Lifer for me. It was a grand day. The Rails were darting in and out of the reeds and this one decided to step out of the mud to walk across a pier beam as the sun was setting in search of Fiddler Crabs and other food morsels. C&C welcome.

D700, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 TC, 1/640s, f 5.6, ISO 2000, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal Head.

Geoffrey

William Dickson
12-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Great capture Geoffrey, if they are anything like our Water Rails, I know how difficult it is to get them out in the open, so well done. I like the pose, and even though man made, the perch and BG actually fit the image well. Nice details and colours on the bird. I like the light against the wood.

Will

Jonathan Ashton
12-20-2015, 01:38 PM
Well caught but to me it looks just a tad soft. I suspect shutter speed a little too slow.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Well caught but to me it looks just a tad soft. I suspect shutter speed a little too slow.

Thanks Jonathan, and here's a repost with a tad more sharpening.

Geoffrey

Karl Egressy
12-20-2015, 10:09 PM
We have the Virginia Rail that is very similar but smaller. Typical pose, nice capture, Geoffrey.

Stu Bowie
12-21-2015, 05:55 AM
Hi Geoff, I like the setting here, even though there is evidence of man made wood supports - it shows his enviroment. I like the 'fishing' pose, as well as the colours on him. The focus point looks like it was on the back of the near wing.

Jonathan Ashton
12-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Geoffrey repost looks a little better but the eye is slightly out of focus, a very interesting shot though I have never seen one before. I imagine they are very shy, the rails in UK are.

Geoffrey Montagu
12-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Hi Geoff, I like the setting here, even though there is evidence of man made wood supports - it shows his enviroment. I like the 'fishing' pose, as well as the colours on him. The focus point looks like it was on the back of the near wing.

I just looked at the orig. RAW file and it's sharp. Something seems to be causing a loss of sharpness even after sharpening the converted Jpg.

The focus point is right at the near shoulder.

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Montagu
12-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone.

Geoffrey