PDA

View Full Version : Black Guillemots - part 2

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2015, 11:57 AM
A different perspective to the more 'arty' posting I did a short while ago, but within the same location. A few have seen the ice berg backdrop in it's full glory so I must get round to posting that in landscapes. I think my focus was more on the landscape behind rather than the birds, but as previous, I wanted more of this to be a 'birdscape' with the surrounding environment/habitat with the subjects being small within the composition. Shot from a drifting zodiac.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve
Subject: Guillemots (Uria aalge) near an ice berg
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/2500s at f/9 ISO800
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from the bottom, FF on width
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

Randy Stout
12-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Steve:

The ice berg on the left is great, with strong diagonal, deep blue, side/back lighting. The dark sky seems threatening.

In a perfect world, might have been interesting from a compositional standpoint to have the birds a bit further right in the frame, so the strong diagonal line "pointed" to them, to increase their impact.

A seriously impressive place.

Cheers

Randy

William Dickson
12-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Fantastic colours again Steve. I personally, like this image better. The sky colours reflecting on the sea look awesome. The wing flap adds so much aswell. Yes, very nice indeed. I have it pictured as a large canvas print. And, it looks good :S3: Thanks for sharing.

Will

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2015, 02:23 PM
In a perfect world, might have been interesting from a compositional standpoint to have the birds a bit further right in the frame, so the strong diagonal line "pointed" to them, to increase their impact.

Indeed Randy, good point and if we had drifted more towards the 'ice curtain' I may well have achieved it, but the Guillemots did keep their distance too. :S3:

Cheers Will, much appreciated. :wave:

keith mitchell
12-20-2015, 02:44 PM
Steve thought your other one was a stunner but this one is even better IMHO,the colour on that iceberg is fantastic.

Keith.

Charlene Bacchioni
12-20-2015, 03:08 PM
I like the comp and colours , Steve.

Karl Egressy
12-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Beautiful bird scape image, Steve. The icebergs in the background are striking.

Loi Nguyen
12-21-2015, 01:54 AM
Wow, love the light on the edge of the iceberg on the left and the ray of light in the cloud. The birds added more to the otherwise desolate landscape. Well done Steve. Loi

Steve Kaluski
12-21-2015, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys, it is a real spectacular place to visit, but in order to retain this beauty, it is also 'policed' heavily.

Steve

Stu Bowie
12-21-2015, 05:52 AM
Hi Steve, thats a large chunk of ice, and I really like the colours that you have brought and exposed so well. Well timed to have captured the wingflap of the Guillemot in the FG, and Im sure with these large icebergs, its pretty difficult to decide where to capture your image in camera with regards to a crop.

I bet if 10 people were lined up alongside each other, each crop would be different. :w3

Steve Kaluski
12-21-2015, 06:48 AM
I bet if 10 people were lined up alongside each other, each crop would be different.

That has been something I have always wanted to do Stu. Take 12 photographers, give them the same subject, lighting etc and ask the to photograph it and in this festive period, make it into a calendar. As you say, it would be interesting to see the end results and how each person sees, views and interprets the scene. :S3:

Cheers

David Salem
12-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Very nice scene Steve. I really like the blue color of the glacier/berg and the purple of the sky. The birds add to the peaceful scene. Well done and Happy holidays.

Marina Scarr
12-22-2015, 09:21 AM
This is quite the special small in the frame image, although I would crop some off bottom and a little from the right. After reviewing your previous post, for me, the previous image is out of this world!