PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Female Gadwall.

Karl Egressy
12-20-2015, 09:13 AM
I'm pretty sure this isn't everybody's cup of tea, but some of you may like it.
It is rare to see this colorful reflection with a Duck in it.
Thanks for looking and the comments.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS + 1.4x
ISO 640
f 7.1
1/400 s

Karl Egressy
12-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Here is the jpeg version of the original.

Randy Stout
12-20-2015, 09:22 AM
Karl:

Beautiful water colors from the leaves. I appreciate the composition to try and maximize the red in the frame. However, red is such a dominant, forward color, that with the duck this small in the frame, the red actually becomes the 'subject' to my eye.

This may just be a personal reaction, but that is how it struck me.

Cheers

Randy

William Dickson
12-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Hi Karl. I really like the colours on the water, but my thoughts are same as Randy. As you say, it will appeal to some.

Will

Randy Stout
12-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Karl:

One additional thought. If you cropped up about 40% of the way from the bottom to the bird, you would still have the lovely colors, but it would make the red less overpowering to my eye.

Cheers

Randy

Karl Egressy
12-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Karl:

One additional thought. If you cropped up about 40% of the way from the bottom to the bird, you would still have the lovely colors, but it would make the red less overpowering to my eye.

Cheers

Randy

Thank Randy. I t was a bad idea to post this image. The bird has no details I cannot crop it smaller.

Randy Stout
12-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Karl:

Not a bad idea, because it was a learning opportunity. I will post images that I struggle with sometimes, to try to help clarify my thinking!

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
12-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Not a chance posting this image was a bad idea, Karl! I actually love the composition you chose. It forces the viewer to view the entire frame. The colors are riveting. Love the wake. Small in the frame is so appealing to me and this one is so different. You did great with what you had to work with.

Glennie Passier
12-21-2015, 02:09 AM
Karl, How can you think this was a bad idea. As a lowly participant in the ETL forum I cruize/drool over the Avian every chance I get, and don't post a comment because I feel unqualified. When I saw the thumbnail, I couldn't wait to open it. Yes. It is different. Yes it is colourful. Yes. It's absolutely beautiful because of those reasons. I struggle with head angles and backgrounds and every other thing and it makes my heart sing to this creative, brave image!

Glennie

Stu Bowie
12-21-2015, 06:00 AM
Hi Karl, I would leave this image as is. Great angled swimming pose, and I do like the colours of the water. Even though the duck is off center, It still works for me, as we also follow his wake through the colourful water.

Giovanni Frescura
12-21-2015, 07:53 AM
The colour are fine also if the subject is no perfect , for me, the photo works