PDA

View Full Version : Another Walrus

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2015, 08:42 AM
Another image from when we were speeding back in the zodiac to ship before the pack ice set in, and the scene providing a hint of high key too. Very little time for composition, just shooting on the fly, certainly the last Walrus for the time being. Not sure if you can see it, but the RH tusk (as viewed), has ice along the whole length.

Steve

Subject: Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus) on pack ice
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 500f/4 MKII HH
Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO4000 :S3:
Original format: Portrait, crop from the top and FF on the sides
Processed: LRCC & PS CC2015

Andre Pretorius
12-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Hi Steve

The comp compliments his size- he looks massive!
Stunning detail, didn't realise they had so much pink on their chest?
The colour palette in this image amazing.
The lower angle effective.
Personally I would ever so slightly lighten that eye.

Any idea why only one tusk is covered with ice, was he digging?

Reminds of a male lion standing on the higher bank, looking down at you, as you are slowly driving past..

Steve Kaluski
12-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Any idea why only one tusk is covered with ice, was he digging?

No idea Andre, only saw it whilst processing, we were at quick a lick so only just saw it.

Rachel Hollander
12-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Hi Steve - That looks like one very large bull. Great pov from the zodiac. I like the cool tones and loads of detail. Interesting about the ice on the tusk and it is visible even at the small size. You can tell by the jagged texture of the tusk. Normally they are smooth as you know, like the one on the left as viewed.

TFS,
Rachel

Mark Needham
12-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Hi Steve -- That guy is huge! :Whoa!: Love the low angle, layers created by the water, snow, land, and sky. Great detail in the skin (despite the high ISO) and love the ice on his tusk. This one works for me. I do see a slight halo on the left between the walrus skin and the background land, or is that some ice on his skin?

Gabriela Plesea
12-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Dear Steve,

A very good evening to you, it is late and I should be sleeping right now, just could not help sneak a peek... This is one fascinating fellow and you captured him beautifully.

Love the POV: it makes the Walrus seem larger than life - overwhelmingly large! In other words, a respectful reminder of the wonderful works of Mother Nature.

Superb colours and detail, your image allows us to see certain details of this awesome beast so clearly.

Also very realistic, and I like that you chose to emphasise certain features of the species...which reminds me of Nietzsche's verse:

" Completely true to nature!" - what a lie:
How could nature ever be constrained into a picture?
The smallest bit of nature is infinite!
And so he paints what he likes about it...
I truly enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Mike Poole
12-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Another very nice walrus shot Steve, The low angle really accentuates the sheer size of him. Usual high technical details throughout.

Mike

Steve Kaluski
12-21-2015, 04:01 AM
Thanks folks and Gabriela, you are so generous and eloquent in your replies, thank you.

Mike, situations like this you need to push the ISO to gain the SS and the 5D, 1DX are easy, (providing the exposure is right) to address any noise in PP, but even in general shooting, having a good, fast SS is the way to go. Cracking up the ISO to get the capture is the way to go these days, don't let a low ISO allow the capture to slip through your hands :S3:, these bodies are designed for it.

Andreas Liedmann
12-21-2015, 06:19 AM
Hi Steve , just replying from memory as i am on a win machine at work , far from ideal :bg3:. Cannot see the ice cake on the tusk , but saw it yesterday on my home machine , neat little addition :5.

Love the tones , detail and colors you extracted , does look great in general for a " fly by shot ".
Would not change a thing .... besides a slightly different crop by loosing more from the top to go 1x1 or 4x5 .

Always good to see such great creature .... well captured and processed .:5

TFS Andreas

D. Robert Franz
12-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Love this walrus.... Looks like a big powerful bull? A species I would really like to photograph some day but doubt I ever will... I'm jealous. Good use of technology to pull this off

Andrew McLachlan
12-22-2015, 09:43 PM
Very nicely done Steve and from a speeding zodiac too! I love the way he is posing on the ice...beautiful work!

haseeb badar
01-04-2016, 03:38 AM
Hi Steve -- what a majestic look to the walrus , lovely details as always and nicely composed as well , the low POV certainly makes it look huge . TFS !