PDA

View Full Version : Orange Caps

John Cooper
06-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Immature group of fungi growing on the forest floor. I had contemplated removing the front specimen but decided it added some depth to the composition.

Canon EOS 5D, Canon 100mm macro, ISO 200, Flash x2, F22, Tripod.

David Steele
06-07-2008, 03:41 AM
A superb group John . . . the composition, background, lighting and colours are all spot on and the image was captured from the perfect angle. I also like the little plants that seem to mimic the fungi growing upwards from the ground. To get the most of both worlds, I would have been tempted to shoot the group as is and then redo it with the front specimen removed. I realize (almost certainly like you do) that there are some bright spots that might elicit some comment but to be honest they do not really worry me.

Bill Whitney
06-07-2008, 05:12 AM
John, well done. I like the seperation of the fungi from the BG with the focus and the lighting. wonderful detail.

Mike Moats
06-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Hey John, I think this looks great, excellent detailsand color. I don't mind the highlights on the tops, it reminds me of catch light in a animals eye.

Gus Cobos
06-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Great image John I like the details, color tones and the 3-D look that it has...the background habitat really looks good...:cool:

Julie Kenward
06-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm so glad you left that front cap...it does add such a nice depth to the group. Very nicely done!

Steve Wheeler
06-07-2008, 09:41 PM
This is sweet John... I'm glad you left the front cap in too. I love the fine... tiny little shoots and leaves conrasted against the bolder stalks (dunno the proper name) of the mushrooms.

How was this lit?

Steve

John Cooper
06-08-2008, 05:36 AM
This is sweet John... I'm glad you left the front cap in too. I love the fine... tiny little shoots and leaves conrasted against the bolder stalks (dunno the proper name) of the mushrooms.

How was this lit?

Steve

Hi Steve thanks for the comments. Because of the dark rainforest conditions I used 2 flash units here - one as the main light source and the other close to the lens as fill-light.

Mike Gallo
06-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Perfect comp and lighting John

Roman Kurywczak
06-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi John,
I guess I'm in the minority..........i do like the composition and environment.......but the lighting is a bit distracting to me............kind of looks flashed for my tastes.