PDA

View Full Version : Night Storm at Arches

Roman Kurywczak
06-06-2008, 08:32 PM
This was taken about 8 years ago and probably is the image that got me psyched on night photography. Was going through some old scans of my slides and came upon this one. My PS skills have improved since I first started and decided to post this one as it brings back some huge exciting memories. I do remember that I did get a little concerned later that night when the storm came on top of me. No specs as it was film but it was with the Canon 1N and E100 VS film for 30 seconds..........and the only reason I remember that is I was cursing that I didn't have a cable release with me....I left it back at the room with my wife and kids sound asleep The glow on the left is the full moon behind the clouds.
As always, comments welcomed and appreciated!

Grady Weed
06-07-2008, 10:14 AM
You were brave. Be careful. I love lighting photography. The lighting trigger is a big added plus for this kind of work. Go here: http://www.lightningtrigger.com/

Vincent Grafhorst
06-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Cool image Roman. Indeed a pity you did not have your cable release for a longer exposure... Interesting gadget Grady, thanks for the link, although I'm sure I cannot buy it where I live, at least I know it exists. Do you own one and have you used it?

Roman Kurywczak
06-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Cool image Roman. Indeed a pity you did not have your cable release for a longer exposure... Interesting gadget Grady, thanks for the link, although I'm sure I cannot buy it where I live, at least I know it exists. Do you own one and have you used it?
Hi Vincent and Grady,
Right after this trip I bought the lightning trigger. I have used it a few times..........with limited succes.........but it does make the job a little easier.........and safer! It plugs into your cable release with a device that runs on a 9V battery. Make your settings.........and walk away! Very effective during the daylight hours. I also used the Singh Ray Vari ND filter in conjunction with it so that I can maximize the strike potential. I can't wait to try it out with the Mark 3.
Roman

Gayle Clement
06-07-2008, 02:38 PM
A very powerful photo, Roman. I really like the purple hues of the sky.

Judd Patterson
06-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Definitely an exciting image with so much going on! Love the colors in the sky and the bolts surrounding Balanced Rock! Nice work.

Robert Amoruso
06-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Cool looking image for all the reasons mentioned.